Please Advise On Air Pump ?’s!

KribensisLover1

Ok so I just got a 20 gallon (24x12.5x16.5)”
tank for my two goldfish and two mystery snails. YOU GUYS HELP SO MUCH. PLS ADVISE!
I got an air pump for 20 gallon tank and a 12” air stone. The salesman told me that the strength of the pump would blow the 12” out of the water so I also got a dragon ornament (not huge) that is a bubbler. Is this still too strong of a pump? I’m totally new to this pls advise!Here are pics of the air stone and dragon! I can get another air stone instead? The air stone is 12” the dragon 11” OR CAN//SHOULD I JUST GET THIS ONE UNDERWATER RIVER (and or a bubbler ornament?) or this LED wand which I like a lot! Or just not as strong of a pump?!! What is the MAX I need for my tank? Whatever is the least amount of gallon pump and the least amount of bubblers in tank is what I would like (so as not to disturb my buddies!)

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore
No need to buy another pump instead you can put control valves (pic) in line to reduce air going to each ornament, no pictures showing

Attachments

• 15700907357604322950699280661706.jpg
    15700907357604322950699280661706.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 75

Islandvic

No pics are appearing, so not sure which air pump you're referring to.

Air pump is not 100% required for aquariums. If there is enough surface agitation at the water line from your filter, then you will have enough O2/CO2 gas exchange.

Gas exchange takes place mainly at the water's surface, not from the column of rising air bubbles. The air bubbles is a means to an end for agitating the water surface, to help facilitate the gas exchange.

Air pumps are mainly either ornamental, or used to power sponge filters with an air stone.

Also, there is not an industry standard or consensus for rating airpump (or filters) for an appropriate tank size. One brand's "air pump for 20 gallon aquarium" can have a totally different volume of air output (usually measured in liters per minute, liters per hour, gallons per hour) compared to another brand's "air pump for 20 gallon aquarium".

I'm not a betting man, but I'd wager the salesperson who helped you was slightly misinformed themselves about how these accessories work, and/or isn't a fishkeeper.

When you said "I got an air pump for 20 gallon tank and a 12” air stone. The salesman told me that the strength of the pump would blow the 12” out of the water", the salesperson is not making sense.

It's very likely the air pump "rated" for a 20 gallon tank will not even be able to sufficiently pump air all the way to the end of a 12" airstone. That is a lot of resistance to overcome.

It's ludicrous that it will blow it "out of the water".

How would the air pump blow the 12" bubble wand out of thr water, but not over power an airstone inside an ornament? It doesn't matter the size of the ornament (dragon), as the air pump is powering the airstone. It doesn't matter what the air stone is placed in side of.

For example, I have a Top Fin airpump "rated" for tanks up to 40 gallon in size, and it runs 1 sponge filter in our 10 gallon tank. The small 10 gallon tank is definitely not being overcome with huge volumes of air bubbles.

I may have misinterpreted your post, and maybe you're referring to an air pump that was purchased for the 20 gallon tank, and not rated for a 20 gallon tank. Since your pic didnt post, maybe you bought some type of huge pump?

It may be easier for you to just post the brand and model of air pump, example "Top Fin 20" or Tetra Whisper 20".

Also, what size tank are the goldfish in now?

An adult goldfish, depending on type, will grow 6" - 12" in length.

As they grow, you'll need to upgrade to a larger tank.

If the salesperson told you the fish will grow to match the size of tank, they were wrong.

Fljoe

Ok so I just got a 20 gallon (24x12.5x16.5)”
tank for my two goldfish and two mystery snails. YOU GUYS HELP SO MUCH. PLS ADVISE!
I got an air pump for 20 gallon tank and a 12” air stone. The salesman told me that the strength of the pump would blow the 12” out of the water so I also got a dragon ornament (not huge) that is a bubbler. Is this still too strong of a pump? I’m totally new to this pls advise!Here are pics of the air stone and dragon! I can get another air stone instead? The air stone is 12” the dragon 11” OR CAN//SHOULD I JUST GET THIS ONE UNDERWATER RIVER (and or a bubbler ornament?) or this LED wand which I like a lot! Or just not as strong of a pump?!! What is the MAX I need for my tank? Whatever is the least amount of gallon pump and the least amount of bubblers in tank is what I would like (so as not to disturb my buddies!)
Hi! Your pictures didn’t load. I had the same problem. A member informed me you need to crop to make them smaller. Your pump obviously doesn’t have a flow control knob. But you can buy a valve to control the flow. As shown in another reply. I had the same issue yesterday.

KribensisLover1

Thank you!!

No pics are appearing, so not sure which air pump you're referring to.

Air pump is not 100% required for aquariums. If there is enough surface agitation at the water line from your filter, then you will have enough O2/CO2 gas exchange.

Gas exchange takes place mainly at the water's surface, not from the column of rising air bubbles. The air bubbles is a means to an end for agitating the water surface, to help facilitate the gas exchange.

Air pumps are mainly either ornamental, or used to power sponge filters with an air stone.

Also, there is not an industry standard or consensus for rating airpump (or filters) for an appropriate tank size. One brand's "air pump for 20 gallon aquarium" can have a totally different volume of air output (usually measured in liters per minute, liters per hour, gallons per hour) compared to another brand's "air pump for 20 gallon aquarium".

I'm not a betting man, but I'd wager the salesperson who helped you was slightly misinformed themselves about how these accessories work, and/or isn't a fishkeeper.

When you said "I got an air pump for 20 gallon tank and a 12” air stone. The salesman told me that the strength of the pump would blow the 12” out of the water", the salesperson is not making sense.

It's very likely the air pump "rated" for a 20 gallon tank will not even be able to sufficiently pump air all the way to the end of a 12" airstone. That is a lot of resistance to overcome.

It's ludicrous that it will blow it "out of the water".

How would the air pump blow the 12" bubble wand out of thr water, but not over power an airstone inside an ornament? It doesn't matter the size of the ornament (dragon), as the air pump is powering the airstone. It doesn't matter what the air stone is placed in side of.

For example, I have a Top Fin airpump "rated" for tanks up to 40 gallon in size, and it runs 1 sponge filter in our 10 gallon tank. The small 10 gallon tank is definitely not being overcome with huge volumes of air bubbles.

I may have misinterpreted your post, and maybe you're referring to an air pump that was purchased for the 20 gallon tank, and not rated for a 20 gallon tank. Since your pic didnt post, maybe you bought some type of huge pump?

It may be easier for you to just post the brand and model of air pump, example "Top Fin 20" or Tetra Whisper 20".

Also, what size tank are the goldfish in now?

An adult goldfish, depending on type, will grow 6" - 12" in length.

As they grow, you'll need to upgrade to a larger tank.

If the salesperson told you the fish will grow to match the size of tank, they were wrong.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GatlingGun
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views