Please advise, fish disappearing Question 

Sulekshmie

Reaction score
I have a freshwater tank in my garden. It’s small and oblong.
I love aquatic plants and just started growing a few. To avoid mosquitos breeding in here, I introduced 5 little fish for a start.
However, they started disappearing one by one and I can’t understand the reason.
There were no dead bodies floating but a random snail has appeared out of nowhere and it’s getting bigger.
I wondered if it was eating my fish but reading your threads proved I am wrong . When it rains the water level rises. Do you think the little fish were swept away?
Please help. I am very upset.
Will the snails deal with mosquito larvae?
BY THE WAY, I live in SriLanka, an island with a tropical climate with much humidity.
We are having monsoon rains these days.

Attachments

Kfrussell

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are there any predators that could be interfeering with the fish? Where I'm from we have raccoons that would definitely grab a fish.

Sulekshmie

Reaction score
juniperlea said:
I'm a newbie (5 months). I'm wondering if you're right in thinking the fish were swept away.
Thank you so much for giving out your opinions. ❤
I have to focus on have it fenced in with some netting then.

Kfrussell said:
Are there any predators that could be interfeering with the fish? Where I'm from we have raccoons that would definitely grab a fish.
I am not sure. We don’t have raccoons but there could be some disturbance from a similar creature of pray.
Thank you so much.

Thank you for responding
Sunflower said:
What a beautiful little pond! I also think it's predators or being swept away.

MacZ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mongooses? Kingfisher birds? Predatory insect larvae? Simply swept out from overflowing rainwater or jumped out? All possibilities.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if you have dragon flies where you live but you might want to watch this video.

Sulekshmie

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the video attachment. My goodness it is a first timer for me. Never realised how dangerous dragonflies can be!!
I must watch my little tank more closely.
Thank you again

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore :)

If this beautiful little pond overflows during heavy rains you may need to consider drain holes situated at the water level you want to keep in the pond. That should prevent your little guys from being swept away if in fact that has happened. You may need to cover the drain holes with a screen to prevent escape should the water level rise too quickly during a downpour to drain quick enough.

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kfrussell said:
Yup, racoons love to eat fresh pond fish

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm being a bit facetious here, but why not take advantage of your beautiful pond and grow creatures (larvae) for your aquarium....

ngjandm

Reaction score
thats a lovely concept for a small pond. yeah, as most folks have alluded to, the openness of it, will allow just about any type of hungry critter to find a nice easy meal since it might be a little tough for fish to hide.

Sulekshmie

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Welcome to Fishlore :)

If this beautiful little pond overflows during heavy rains you may need to consider drain holes situated at the water level you want to keep in the pond. That should prevent your little guys from being swept away if in fact that has happened. You may need to cover the drain holes with a screen to prevent escape should the water level rise too quickly during a downpour to drain quick enough.
Thank you so much Mattgirl for responding. I will look into all these ideas.

Imjustbored

Reaction score
They could be washed away with the rain water or they could have gotten eaten by birds they could have also just died and you can't find a body because snails make quick work of them which would explain a growing snail population

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom