Pleasantly surprised and happy with Petco sand

1. nhaiflich Member Member

Just got done doing my first water change since adding sand. Was so paranoid about making a huge mess. To my surprise, no problems! I would recommend the Petco sand, though a bit pricey. Twice I accidentally touched vac to sand and it barely came up into tube then fell right back out again! So for convenience, well worth the money:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, its difficult to judge the potential endurance and quality of a product. Glad to hear everything worked well for you. Also, Ive moved your thread to the freshwater substrate section of the forum. Thanks.

3. nhaiflich Member Member

Thanks Rivieraneo. I looked for it before I posted. Didn't see and still can't find it on app. Gonna have to stop using it. Been acting up forever.

4. LWormy Member Member

I have that sand too and I love it! It doesn't really seem like sand, more like fine gravel. Each grain is about 1mm so it's alright. Only thing is that I am trying to do a freshwater deep sand bed to reduce nitrate in my goldfish tank, so I don't know if the large grain will work well. :(

5. Dang Well Known Member Member

is your aquarium planted at all? I have Eco complete wondering if change to sand would be a good idea. I've had that petco sand in hand ready to buy and I didn't haha it seems a good price, then again I have a small tank so I wouldn't need much. I've never had sand before tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. nhaiflich Member Member

I don't have plants. If you post the question about thinking of changing substrate in a different section, maybe the plant section, you could get some ideas from other members more experienced than me. This is my first tank with sand and honestly, wish I had it in all my tanks. Like it a lot more than gravel. Think it looks nicer. I'm not familiar with the Eco complete so you may already have the benefits I feel sand has over gravel though. I think I've heard of people capping with sand. I would ask in plant section for sure:)

7. mrsalty1223 Member Member

I also use the Petco sand. Mine is black and white mixed at about a 2 black to 1 white ratio. I think it looks really good. If you are using a regular siphon gravel vac, you can set your bucket your pumping into on a chair or something with elevation. That will help reduce the suction on the vacuum and you won't suck up as much sand. It works good for me.

8. Tropical Tanks Well Known Member Member

I also have petco sand.
    Black and white. I love it.
    I have it in 3 out of 4 tanks and it never gets sucked up in the gravel vac. If it does it falls right back out. It was also very clean.

2 if these tanks are heavily planted.