Playing With Oscars!

Preston Landolt
So this is probably a dumb question? But can you “play” with an Oscar? I’ve seen some videos of people who give their Oscars ping pong balls and stuff to play with. I guess I want something that both keeps me and my Oscar entertained. My Oscar is quite young I’d estimate about a month or two old (roughly 2 inches long) so that may slow things down. But anything you suggest I’ll be open to try!
Here’s some pictures bc he just so cute!

97d821fe99318181df6c70d1829ff35e.jpg
62da5a4d9d39bb52477cd3606275f7e7.jpg

ValerieAdams
Oh my goodness! He is cute. How big of a tank is that? I don't know about the playing thing. Dawn Michele has an oscar though

Preston Landolt
75 gallons, some people say 75 is too small but I don’t think so

ValerieAdams
I tend to think 75 is too small. Obviously not right now, I asked because I thought it looked like a huge tank. Dawn's is in a 125 and he makes it look small! What kind of oscar is he? He's beautiful

Preston Landolt
I tend to think 75 is too small. Obviously not right now, I asked because I thought it looked like a huge tank. Dawn's is in a 125 and he makes it look small! What kind of oscar is he? He's beautiful

Just a regular old tiger Oscar. I hope to get a 125, I mean that was the plan. But I don’t know where I’ll be or what I’ll be doing in a year or two so idk if I 100% will.

Fanatic
I think 75's are undoubtedly small for oscars in the long run, and recommend a minimum of 100 gallons for them.

Preston Landolt
I think 75's are undoubtedly small for oscars in the long run, and recommend a minimum of 100 gallons for them.

Alright that’s not what this thread is about.

Fanatic
Alright that’s not what this thread is about.

I understand, I am adding to ValerieAdam's post.

VeiltailKing
He is so cute! The tank should be fine for a while, and honestly he makes it look so big! You could try ping pong balls (my betta loves them) but that’s the only thing I can think of right off the bat.

Preston Landolt
He is so cute! The tank should be fine for a while, and honestly he makes it look so big! You could try ping pong balls (my betta loves them) but that’s the only thing I can think of right off the bat.

Alrighty. Now to find a ping pong ball!

Galathiel
I've seen ping pong balls suggested, as well as items they can roll around on the bottom (not sure about a bare bottomed tank). They can also have fun with food. Feed a live earthworm and watch them try to suck down "pasta" that crawls back out of its mouth.

Dawn Michele
Hi!!! Beautiful Oscar!!! He will grow VERY fast & become messy!!! They need pristine water & a good diet!!! A 125 will be perfect for him!!! That's what I keep my Oscar Big Boy in!!! I don't actually play with him. He LOVES to move his plant's and rock's around. It is fun to see him redecorate the tank!!!
DSC03854.JPG
DSC03850.JPG

THRESHER
Yup. I'd luv to have Big Boy help me move my furniture around. He sure is a shaker and a mover!

To the OP: That's one beautiful Oscar. He will grow big fast! A 75 is plenty, but of course bigger is always better. Have fun training him, he'll be like a puppy dog when you get close to the tank and he'll wag his tail. He'll even nibble at your hand. When I had mine, they would push up against my hand showing me affection.

Preston Landolt
I've seen ping pong balls suggested, as well as items they can roll around on the bottom (not sure about a bare bottomed tank). They can also have fun with food. Feed a live earthworm and watch them try to suck down "pasta" that crawls back out of its mouth.

Bare bottom is temporary, some workers threw away my sand so I have to get some more and just haven’t came around to it yet. I’m sure once my Oscar is big enough worms will be great, but considering he’s smaller than the worms I’d be putting in, I’d have to wait a bit

Preston Landolt
Hi!!! Beautiful Oscar!!! He will grow VERY fast & become messy!!! They need pristine water & a good diet!!! A 125 will be perfect for him!!! That's what I keep my Oscar Big Boy in!!! I don't actually play with him. He LOVES to move his plant's and rock's around. It is fun to see him redecorate the tank!!!View attachment 483945 View attachment 483946

How big has your Oscar gotten and how long have you had him?

Preston Landolt
Yup. I'd luv to have Big Boy help me move my furniture around. He sure is a shaker and a mover!

To the OP: That's one beautiful Oscar. He will grow big fast! A 75 is plenty, but of course bigger is always better. Have fun training him, he'll be like a puppy dog when you get close to the tank and he'll wag his tail. He'll even nibble at your hand. When I had mine, they would push up against my hand showing me affection.

A puppy is the perfect way to describe him! I’m used to keeping angelfish and smaller tetra which take weeks to realize that my hand means food. My Oscar (his name is Odin) figures it out his first day! I sunk a ping pong ball for him and he pecked at it on its way down but hasn’t touched since. I’ll give him a few days to realize what it’s for.

Dawn Michele
When I got Big Boy he was 4 inches. He is now a little over 12 inches & I have had him for about 4 years.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Plecomaker
Replies
Views
wd67
Replies
Views
LinasPlantLife
  • bettaf1sh 7789
  • Reptile