Playing musical tanks

Sanderguy777

Ok, so recently I FINALLY got some south american cichlids after years of wanting them and just never getting them.

Anyway, I now have an issue (or at least it THINK I have one).

I have 3 tanks:

A 10g QT tank that I have a 3" green terror living in rn.

A 55g with a bunch if plecos, bottom feeders and 2 firemouths, and 1 honduran red point.

And a 60g with 2 nice angelfish, a ton of guppies, and a bunch of bottom feeders (including 5 SAE)

I WANT to have the 55g have 1 each of Texas, green terror, Jack dempsey, HRP, and 2 firemouth cichlids in it. The issue is that the HRP is getting picked on my the two Firemouths and his tail has gotten a split over the last 2 days (they have been together for about 2 weeks now, and the 2 FM have been lip locking with the HRP off and on, bit never actually doing damage before (not sure if they tore his fin, or he did on decor).

Anyway, those three are all about 1.5 - 2" long. The green terror is 3" long and swims around the 10g tank like he wants to eat ME (6' tall and towering over the 10g that lives on the floor lol). I'm afraid he is ANGRY and will kill the other fish if I put him in the 55g, but he might just be CRAMPED, or excited to see his owner and be the most gentle thing on the planet.

Should I put him in the 55g and let nature take its course, or leave it alone and just get more of the HRP and smaller fish like them?

TLDR, I love my 3" GT, but am afraid to put him in with my Firemouths or HRP that are only 1.5" to 2" long. Should I do it, or sell the GT or others and only put similar sized fish in the tank so they don't wipe each other out?

carsonsgjs

Sorry to break it to you but your long-term stocking plans aren’t going to work with a tank that size. The green terror, jack dempsey (assuming regular and not electric blue) and texas all grow very big and a 55g is way too small to accommodate that much fish.

Adding the green terror into the mix with the existing aggression issues probably isn’t going to help but you could try rearranging the tank before you do it to reset territories. Not a guarantee that it will work though.

Sanderguy777

Sorry to break it to you but your long-term stocking plans aren’t going to work with a tank that size. The green terror, jack dempsey (assuming regular and not electric blue) and texas all grow very big and a 55g is way too small to accommodate that much fish.

Adding the green terror into the mix with the existing aggression issues probably isn’t going to help but you could try rearranging the tank before you do it to reset territories. Not a guarantee that it will work though.
Would one of the big ones work with the existing FMs and HRP? Like a smaller green terror and a couple firemouths, and a couple HRPs? Or is the tank too small for even one of the big ones?

carsonsgjs

Would one of the big ones work with the existing FMs and HRP? Like a smaller green terror and a couple firemouths, and a couple HRPs? Or is the tank too small for even one of the big ones?
Probably not. I don’t think adding in a large territorial fish into a tank with existing aggression issues will work. The thing with their size is you won’t know how big the fish gets until it is fully grown too. It may be too late by that point.

As for the existing set up, make sure there are plenty of hiding spots and broken lines of sight if there aren’t any already so your HRP isn’t bullied. Thinking rocks, plants and lots of driftwood.

Sanderguy777

What if I added a couple more HRPs so the one had a couple buddies? Would that create a gang war, or just help spread out the aggression?

If I rehomed the HRP, would the GT be ok to add to the 55g, or is he too big and on a higher aggression level?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flounderman553
  • Sanderguy777
  • pH
Replies
Views
jpm995
  • Question
Replies
Views