Question Play Sand

Goldmoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI everyone
Just wondering if play sand (like the stuff you would get from Home Depot or Lowe’s) is okay to use in a fish tank. I’d of course wash it out beforehand and I really like the texture and natural color of one I bought but I’m not going to use it if I’m going to lose fish over it. Thanks in advance!

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plays amen is fine to use, just be prepared to spend a significant amount of time washing it...

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can get all sorts of sands from home depot and lowes. As long as there are no additives in it, any sand is fine.
I've used pavers sand in my tanks even. The only problem is it stains decor and kills plants for some reason.
I got a 100lb bag of silica sand for 12 bucks at my home depot.

Mephistophocles

Reaction score
I just set up a new 40gal with play sand I found at Lowes. $5 for 50lb bag (it was the "premium" stuff). I did wash it but wasn't really thorough about it and haven't noticed any cloudiness or other issues. Guessing there's a pretty wide variety of quality out there...

Nobote

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazycoryfishlady said:
You can get all sorts of sands from home depot and lowes. As long as there are no additives in it, any sand is fine.
I've used pavers sand in my tanks even. The only problem is it stains decor and kills plants for some reason.
I got a 100lb bag of silica sand for 12 bucks at my home depot.
If it was elastomeric/polymeric pavers sand it may have had a chemical activator in it. Some polymerics use plant material to gel sand, others use something man made.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand is another option. I've never used play sand but I have PFS in all my tanks and it is great. It's a bit heavier so when you vac around the substrate there is less a chance of stirring things around than using play sand. But that is only from research not personal experience. Also PFS is simple to clean it barely even needs a stir in the buckey and its basically ready to add.

New Threads