Play Sand with Tetra Whisper filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was going to decorate my 20 gallon tank with sand, and play sand is the most in-expensive... Will play sand get sucked up by a "Tetra Whisper" filter and ruin it?

fishnob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use Silica sand, which is similar in grain to the play sand also very inexpensive, actually less than the play sand. I have a tetra whisper EX 70 and it doesn't suck up the sand. I do suggest that when you are doing water changes and gravel vacs that you unplugg your filter. If you don't unplug it there is a good chance that it will suck it up, as it is moving in the water.

Side note, if you happen to look into using silica sand it is important to check that there are no additives with it. Mine said one the side of the bag in huge letters 100 % silica sand, no additives.

OP
C

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just found some at home depot for like $25 which is a lot more than the play sand... Is there any thing bad with using the play sand?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I honestly have never used sand in any of my tanks but from what I've read about people on here, there are quite a few that have used play sand in their tanks and it works fine. I know a guy I worked with used it in his tank and he was adding something to the tank like a plant or something and wasn't thinking and stirred up the sand a bit and completely ruined the filter.

Tanman19az

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the Tetra whisper pf10 with the expensive tahitian moon black sand and so far so good. You just have to make sure to turn it off when you do water changes or aquascaping. I also have a prefilter sponge that I made with a aquaclear sponge. There is a thread on here explaining how to make one, but it's pretty self-explanatory.

OP
C

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does sand make the water all cloudy, or will it be fine... Also, does anyone know of any sand that you can use in the aquarium that is around the same price as the play sand, but better for the tank and the filter?

fishnob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I agree with the pool filter sand. I am going to get some today for my new tanks. I just priced it and it is $6.95 Canadian for a 50 lb bag. If you go with the play sand make sure and rinse it until the water runs clear (in a bucket before it goes into the tank).

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great advice and suggestions above. Just to add, if the water DOES go cloudy because of the sand, not to worry. It will settle in time but just remember from what the above mentioned, make sure to turn off your filter when you do water changes or gravel vacs to avoid your sand getting sucked. Best of luck!

OP
C

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all... I have just 1 more question, if I have a kuhli loach in my tank and I get the trumpet snails, will the snails interfere with the loach's burrowing?

OP
C

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just got a bag of pool filter sand today and it looks great... still gotta find someplace that sells MTS... thanks for suggesting pool filter sand... Peace out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom