Play sand question.

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Hendrix Fish, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Hendrix Fish

Hendrix Fish Valued Member Member

Hi, I was getting a 55 gallon tank and needed some good substrate, the highest amount of money I will spend is $1 per pound, I was thinking about play sand, anyone have a good tank with it or is there any ups or downs to it? I need sand because I was getting a Jack Dempsey with a convict. And if play sand doesn't work any suggestions? Thank you. Ooops! i accidentally put this in the saltwater section, sorry. So yes it is a freshwater tank.

O0

P.S. I know this isn't the right section but any good stocking ideas with a JD? If a convict works out just say so, thanks. (Once again this is 55 gallons.)

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

For some reason I really doubt "play sand" will work or else I think everyone would have it in their tank. Also you don't have to have sand for those fish there are actually fine gravels that are much easier to deal with. It's actually even made for cichlids and you can get it at most local fish stores I forget exactly how much it costs but it's not too terribly much. Also you don't even have to have fine gravel for them regular gravel works just fine unless you are wanting to breed them and then I noticed that they do better with the fine gravel. But convicts can be very agressive so I'd be careful putting them with anything especially if you're looking to breed

3. nater

nater New Member Member

Hello

I have 2 jack dempseys in a 60 gallon and I use play sand for substrate. Its cheap and looks decent but you have to rinse it A LOT before putting it in your tank. I have had it in the tank for almost 9 months with no issues. e watson is correct gravel will work just fine for the cichlids you want, I just like the way play sand looks compared to gravel.

4. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

Play sand is fine. You just have to take the time to rinse it really well from the start as it is very dirty. I have it in all my tanks and have for many years.

Brian

5. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

Oddly enough you'll come to notice that a LOT of members actually use play sand or even pool filter sand. I had it in both my 45g and 29g but I changed the 45g to flourite black sand so I could plant the tank. As suggested, typically whatever type of sand you get (or many gravels for that matter), just make sure you rinse it off really well. Chances are, even after spending a lot of time rinsing, your tank water will still become cloudy. Just make sure you put it in there and then gently fill the tank with water as to minimize the disturbance to the substrate (maybe placing a plate or bowl on the substrate to disperse the water as you fill it up). Hope this helps ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Hendrix Fish

Hendrix Fish Valued Member Member

thank you everyone you helped tons. I am being pulled into the fish hobby more and more every day:) :;bmu

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice