Platys not eating!

gregoranddexter1816

I got 4 platies yesterday and the only thing that they ate was frozen bloodworms. I soaked lettuce in garlic minced oil and water and they didnt care. And i tried betta fish food and ive tried flakes. Nothing.

gregoranddexter1816

They could just be acclimating. Wonder if you'd fill out the form to rule anything out.

Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health
What is the water volume of the tank?
How long has the tank been running?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 25-50% weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, stability, leaf zone
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? eyeball size per fish
What brand of food do you feed your fish? many many brands
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? both

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 day
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? just skittish (I've never kept this fish so ill assume its normal)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? garlic
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no healthy, colorful and active (still is just not eating)
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 4 weeks
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 75
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.). 1 mystery snail , 5 ghost shrimp, 4 platies (3 female 1 male)

Upvote 0

SavTheArtist

What is the water volume of the tank?
How long has the tank been running?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 25-50% weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, stability, leaf zone
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? eyeball size per fish
What brand of food do you feed your fish? many many brands
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? both

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 day
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? just skittish (I've never kept this fish so ill assume its normal)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? garlic
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no healthy, colorful and active (still is just not eating)
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 4 weeks
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 75
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.). 1 mystery snail , 5 ghost shrimp, 4 platies (3 female 1 male)
Judging by your parameters, the tank is not cycled unless it is a densely planted one.

It is likely that they are just adjusting, but also keep in mind that platies are recommended to have 15g+ tanks, and you will no doubt have babies.

Upvote 0

Fisheye

These parameters are of concern. How did you cycle your tank? How often did you test over the 4 weeks and what numbers did you get?

Upvote 0

bwer2

Your water is off
Platies will never turn away food even after arriving in a new tank after 5 minutes

Upvote 0

gregoranddexter1816

Judging by your parameters, the tank is not cycled unless it is a densely planted one.

It is likely that they are just adjusting, but also keep in mind that platies are recommended to have 15g+ tanks.
I have been over this many times. As I have a strong biofilter, and a good regime with my tanks 10 gallons is not a problem for 4 platies. It is cycled as I followed instructions from other sources and added each animal in slowly giving the BB time to grow with waste output. I would never get too many fish for my tank unless it was an emergency. The nitrate can go up to 10 but was not lest I checked

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Feed them aqeon tropical flakes. My platys go crazy

Upvote 0

gregoranddexter1816

Your water is off
Platies will never turn away food even after arriving in a new tank after 5 minutes
Well my water is fine.
I’ve cycled tanks before and used things and filter media from a very strong cycled tank. My pet store just got them and a few are pregnant.

Upvote 0

gregoranddexter1816

Feed them aqeon tropical flakes. My platys go crazy
I’ll try that! At the pet store I noticed that they just feed the fish with the vacation feeders on the bottom of the tank so they may be looking for things in the bottom. That’s all they have tried to eat so far. I think a few are visually impaired because they don’t seem to notice the food falling while one does and goes right to it.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

They need time to adjust. As a treat give them baby brine shrimp or vinegar eels. They are guaranteed to gobble that up.

Upvote 0

gregoranddexter1816

They need time to adjust. As a treat give them baby brine shrimp or vinegar eels. They are guaranteed to gobble that up.
never heard of vinegar eels! I noticed a few minutes ago they are munching on the plants in the tank so I'm not super concerned. They seem to just be settling in now.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

my male platy trump did not eat for 3 days. Now he eats a lot. They are setting in. Try to toss in a piece of food now.

Upvote 0

gregoranddexter1816

UPDATE: The fish ate yesterday and today. I think this they understand the concept of food on the surface yet. But they're been active and munching on my plants and the biofilm. I gave them some sinking shrimp pellets this morning and they ate it by the time I returned. I put a piece of balanced cucumber in but so far they don't seem interested.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
  • Ssnaaiil
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Ssnaaiil