Platys Might Have Disease

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Z123Killer, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

I have a 29-gallon tank that is cycled, the stocking right now is only 3 platies and 3 guppies. The platys had red gills since I got them but I suspected it was because of the ammonia because I was cycling (Although I did dose Prime everyday to make the ammonia less harmful...) but right now the tank is cycled and I still see red gills, could it be gill flukes, or are they just stressed because they are all male and chase each other?

I've also noticed white poop, it is not stringy, but it is white.

One of the platys also had clamped fins when being chased, but it is only when he is being chased?

Could there be a disease, or are they just stressed out?

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Gills are supposed to be red, they're full of blood vessels. Can you take a picture?

What are you feeding them?

Most fish will pull their fins closer to their bodies when swimming fast because it reduces drag.

Do you have any plants or decor in the tank?

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Are your fish rubbing against anything in your tank

4. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918Well Known MemberMember

If it's ammonia poisoning, the gills will be inflamed like a purplish red to a bright inflamed red like a good sun burn we get. There will also be a breathing change. Gasping like they just swam a mile full speed. They tend to not be very active and normally hide in the back at the top of the tank. If you are not seeing any of these symptoms, then I do not think you are seeing ammonia poisoning. What your probably seeing is great oxygen absorption and great blood flow.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

I haven't really seen them do that. I only saw one of the rub on airline tubing, but it was only for 2 seconds and it never happened again.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

This is a picture I found on Google, that is similar:   (Mine are a little less red though)

I am feeding them Tetra-Min flakes only

There are no real plants in the aquarium. Just some fake plants and fake decorations...

What I am worried about now are the white poops, I have been noticing that the platys are pooping white, and I'be heard that this is a sign of internal parasites.
    Here is a picture that is very similar to what I see:

What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Z

This is a picture that is kind of similar, mine are a little less red though:  
    I don't see any gasping for air, they are active but they do hide in the corners because they are all males and are always chasing each other...

What I am more worried about now are the white poops they are having.
    This is an example:

Do you think this could be internal parasites?

8. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

9. OP
    OP
    Z

Oh ok, so Prazi pro is the best medicine for this correct?
    And after I treat with Prazi pro, how should their poop turn out?

10. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Anything with praziquantel is fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice