platys again

SaRaH260488

Reaction score
can any 1 tell me when to put my female platys in the breeding trap. i have one that looks like it is going to explode.
thanks x

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you sure she's preganant or could it be that she's bloated? If the spot behind her analfin (the gravid spot) is dark, she's pregant. If she's bloated and appears that her scales are going to flake off she could have dropsy or she could be constipated.

SaRaH260488

Reaction score
vin said:
Are you sure she's preganant or could it be that she's bloated? If the spot behind her analfin (the gravid spot) is dark, she's pregant. If she's bloated and appears that her scales are going to flake off she could have dropsy or she could be constipated.
its hard to tell on her she is huge tho! i dunno how to tell to be honest

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK - what color is she?

SaRaH260488

Reaction score

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Then if you know where her analfins are (at the back toward the tail) if she is preganant you should see a dark patch that is triangular in shape. I'm not familiar with tuxedo platies, so if she's black in this area it might be hard to tell.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
we'll probably need a pic of her to be sure, but if her stomach area is lighter in color, you should be able to see little black dots looking back at you when she's getting close to dropping her fry.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So, Sarah----
Did she give birth? I just caught this thread, but would give the advice, that if you want to save the fry, and cannot tell exactly when she is about to give birth, you can save most of them, if your female is in a tank without other fish, just make sure there are lots of plants the fry can hide in, and after she gives birth, move her out. Then approx. 24 days later she will give birth again, and again, and again! Feed her a good quality diet, with protein (bloodworms) and she should keep her health through it all.

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom