Platy With Small Hole In Tail And Breathing Heavily Help

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Striiife, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Striiife

StriiifeNew MemberMember

I have 4 male platies and some endlers in a 10 gallon and they've been completely fine for about 2 months but lately, one of them has been breathing heavily at the surface and his tail seems a little messed up and has a white-ish tint around the hole. He occasionally swims around and he'll eat just fine along with the others when I feed the rest of them but the majority of the time he sits relatively motionless at the top breathing heavily. Water Parameters are all in check and I'm just not sure what to I can do for the little guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. :)

here's the best picture I could get of him, he's the red one on the left. Notice the tiny hole in his tail.

Attached Files:

2. Zentuckyfriedchicken

ZentuckyfriedchickenWell Known MemberMember

Bacterial infection?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Can you give us some more information?

Exact water parameters? Saying they're fine doesn't help. pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

4. OP
    OP
    Striiife

StriiifeNew MemberMember

pH stays at 6.7 consistently,
    Ammonia - 0ppm,
    Nitrite - 0ppm,
    Nitrate - 20ppm

Temperature is always between 75-78. I usually do about 3 water changes a week and I'll take about 25% out on every WC. I have an Aqueon Quietflow 10 and a sponge filter currently running in it.

Thank you for the welcome. = )

5. TexasDomer

I think it might be something to do with the pH - platies need hard water and a higher pH to thrive, and being in a pH and GH that's too low can make them more prone to health issues. I'd buffer the water, either with something like Seachem Equilibrium or with crushed coral or limestone (cheap from a landscaping store rather than an aquarium store).

6. OP
    OP
    Striiife

StriiifeNew MemberMember

Do you think it could be something like fin rot? The hole in his tail seems to be slowly getting a little bigger.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

7. TexasDomer

It could be fin rot, but your water quality isn't bad, other than the too low of pH (and likely GH). I'd increase your water changes to help him heal, and buffer the water as soon as possible.

8. OP
    OP
    Striiife

StriiifeNew MemberMember

I'll definitely buffer the water as soon as possible, thank you for your help again. = )

9. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I kept my platies at a pH of 8.6 at all times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice