Platy with scales missing

1. DaniosRock Member Member

I bought two platys Saturday and put them in QT. 5 gallon cycled ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate < 10, temp 78f. Last night I noticed one has lost scales on his back and looks like he's been cut with a knife. Its white but does not look like cotton, just more like an injury. It is worse today. I dosed with Melafix. He's eating fine but it looks so painful. His tank mate is fine so far. Any ideas as to what is going on? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406560421.336097.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406560504.961742.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406560544.289740.jpg

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Didn't know what it was, but same thing happened to my red platy male, same spot too. I dosed with Pimafix and Melafix, for 7 days then did a 50% W/C. Took care of it!

3. echi1 Well Known Member Member

They may have had a fight or it was laying under the driftwood and got spooked resulting in the gash you see. Take out any sharp decorations just as a precaution. If it gets worse later you may need more experienced help. It should get better and good move with the Melafix! :;th Try to feed nutritional food to help with the wound healing. You may also need to take out the other platy if it's bothering the hurt one. The Melafix should keep infection at bay, but make sure the tank is extra clean. Hope it feels better!

4. DaniosRock Member Member

His tank mate isn't bothering him, they seem to be very calm with each other. It just came on so quick and it looks awful. When I brought them home I checked their water parameters from the LFS and the nitrates were over 80! Poor guys!

5. echi1 Well Known Member Member

How's he doing today? Let us know if you see any cotton like stuff around the cut, because he could get an infection or fungus when you stop dosing the Melafix.

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

My red wag has the exact same thing right now! I am dealing with possible internal parasites in a couple of other fish (that have been quarantined) but my red wag seems fine otherwise. Do you have any sharp decorations or plants in the tank? It's possible he could have scraped against something.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. DaniosRock Member Member

View attachment 146214 He looks so much better this morning. The cut looks like it is closing, he was happy to see me and ate well. I did remove the decor just incase it was the cause.
    celizabethh3 Im sorry to hear about your other fish. I went through that with my Danios, i used prazipro with great results.

Im getting quite the fish pharmacy now...kind of like with kids, you just have to keep certain things on hand.

8. celizabethh3 Member Member

I'm glad to hear he's doing better! Hopefully he's on his way to recovery.

I have been using ParaGuard in a makeshift hospital tank for my Mickey Mouse platy. My twinbar was isolated as well but she passed yesterday.. I have Metro+ on hand and I'm getting medicated food in the mail today. I have a bit of a fish pharmacy going too, which is kind of ironic because I'm a registered pharmacy technician. :p

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. DaniosRock Member Member

What do you recommend for the fungus?

10. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Melafix is an antibacterial so it should help with the fungus if you get some! Good luck!

11. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Whenever I start having problems in my tank with this I just run both Pimafix and Melafix. Kind've is broad enough to get anything that might get out of hand or is setting in.

They are all natural, and are considered a very weak medication compared to most of the stuff on the market today.

Remember to remove your carbon when you run medications through your tank if you have any carbon.

12. DaniosRock Member Member

Well my Platty has passed away. He didn't eat this morning and wasn't active and I just came home to find him floating on the bottom of the tank. What ever it was it was fast and deadly. His tank mate remains healthy looking and energetic. We shall see what the next 4 weeks bring for him. The best piece of advice I have gotten on this forum was to use a quarantine tank, I'd be a wreck if this guy was floating in my show tank right now.

13. celizabethh3 Member Member

I'm sorry. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. DaniosRock Member Member

Thanks, i was really excited to have 2 Red Wag Platy's adorn my tank. Its so colorless with Zebra Danios and rocks. Now his tank mate is all alone. :( I'm considering getting another one from another source but Im afraid of infecting it. I think I will just let this little fish be lonely and practice patience... Sigh.

15. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Did you throw out the fish? Most LFS has a get your money back guarantee. How about you wait 2 weeks and see if you can get a new platy, from a new source? After almost one week without any symptoms and it didn't have a cut either. I'd think it would be fine. Just watch carefully. Good luck!

16. DaniosRock Member Member

I will get a refund today, the store has a guarantee.

17. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Good!