Platy with Fin Rot... Help!

1. t

taylor9424 New Member Member

Hello everyone! I have a female Mickey Mouse platy who appears to have fin rot. When I bought her a couple weeks ago I noticed she had a small hole in her tail, but I didn't think anything of it. Well, it got worse. The hole has gotten bigger (in the edge of her back fin) and this morning she has developed an odd line down her fin. It's hard to tell in the photos, sorry! She has been hanging around the top of the tank like this for a few days and breathing rapidly. What should I do? The only tank I have available for treatment is a 1 gallon. What type of meds should I use, or should I just try salt?
    Thanks for any advice!

Ps- She gave birth to 6 fry about 4-5 days ago.

Photo Aug 05, 12 04 00 PM (HDR).jpg Photo Aug 05, 12 04 18 PM (HDR).jpg Photo Aug 05, 12 04 19 PM.jpg

Oh also, my tank is in the process of cycling with TSS. I haven't had a large ammonia spike (the highest it got was 0.50 ppm).
    It's currently at:
    Ammonia: 0.25
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: Between 0 and 5.0

Bump.

Anyone? It's getting worse. I don't know if someone took a bite out of her tail or what but there is now another hole.

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

Hi! I am recommending kanaplex. Very serious condition your fish is in. Here is a link. http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-KanaPlex-5-grams/dp/B008633E74

Also if you can find it maracyn 2 or 1. Treat alongside small amounts of freshwater aquarium salt. Get ASAP. With 15 percent water changes every 3-4 days. Turn off filter and keep him warm(78 degrees). Best of luck!:)

Also remove any other fish, if tank is more than. 10 gallons, quarantine him. Actually if you can put him in a smal 2-5 gal tank in the conditions I explained above. Also if you. Have any other fish watch them as finrot SPREADS. He might be to far along but think of this as a lesson learned. I hope he's ok! Keep me updated!
    i love my puffer

1 gallon should be fine;)

3. OP
    OP
    t

Ok, I have my 1 gallon set up with an air stone and a plant. I really wanted to get something tonight, so I grabbed Melafix from the store. I dosed it and she's currently in the hospital tank. Is Melafix okay?

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

taylor9424, I respectfully disagree with the advice above, it is never a good idea to shot gun treatments without knowing the root cause of your fish's issue as some medications can cause additional stress on your fish. Fin rot is usually healed with clean water, by chance could you please post your tank size, type of filtration, water change routine, temperature and any other tank inhabitants? Also, what are your tanks most recent water parameters? This information would be very helpful. Thanks!

5. OP
    OP
    t

Sure!
    I have a 10 gallon tank that is in the process of cycling. I monitor the parameters every day to make sure they don't get too dangerous. I have a Top Fin Power Filter 10 and the temperature is at 77.
    Current readings are:
    Ammonia- between 0 and 0.25
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 0
    There are 3 female platies (including the sick one) and 2 albino cory cats that were given to me in the tank.

6. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

The melafix should help start healing. Monitor your QT waters daily for any spikes in ammonia and nitrite and do water changes as appropriate. Best of luck.

7. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

Very good! The air stone will also help:) Also Thank you Rivieraneo for your feedback. But I do still believe you should treat with the medicine I suggested if the problem persists or gets worse. I do find Melafix to be very useful, but I thought your fishes condition might be to severe to be treated with Melafix. I hope your fish gets better, and monitor your community also. I am glad you are so determined to help your fishie!;)
    keep us updated!:)

Also might want to raise temp to 78;)