Platy With Bump/abrasion On Side

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SLeroux, Apr 21, 2019.

1. SLerouxWell Known MemberMember

Hi there,

One of my female platys has a large lump on her left side. I have been monitoring it for a few days but today it has gotten quite big and there is now an abrasion on the top left of her head. Can anyone confirm if this is fungus (or something else) and how I can treat it?

Meds I have on hand:
    Prazi pro
    Metroplex
    Kanaplex
    Focus
    Paraguard
    Epsom Salts

I am in Canada so fish meds are scarce but I will try to find whatever she needs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_20190421_193929.jpgIMG_20190421_193923.jpgIMG_20190421_193841.jpgIMG_20190421_193832.jpg

2. SLerouxWell Known MemberMember

Sorry I should ad, she was in a cycled 60 gallon community tank but is now in a QT tank with a cycled filter. She is about a year and a half old.

Originals tanks water params are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and about 20 nitrate depending on the day. PH about 7.6.

She was eating as of her last meal. Today is fast day but I may try some flakes tonight to see if she eats.

She is still swimming around her tank now that the shock of the move has worn off. Doesn't seem lethargic.

3. LA58Valued MemberMember

This could be cancer bumps. It happens often on platys and sword tails with the black gene. I have seen something similar with my tuxedo swords. Mostly females had this. Stunted growth, yet didn't appear to cause them distress. No tx.

4. SLerouxWell Known MemberMember

Oh wow, how odd that it's mostly related to the black Gene. Had no idea. I thought the bump might be a tumor as there has been a slight bump there for a while. But hadn't grown until the last couple days. I'll monitor her for a couple days and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

5. SLerouxWell Known MemberMember

The head abrasion has now turned white, is that a bad sign?

IMG_20190422_100424.jpgIMG_20190422_100429.jpg