Platy Tankmates

1. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

I have a beautiful, heavily planted 10 gallon tank with heating and filtration. I only have two platys in at the moment and may add a third if they do well. I love to plan my tanks months in advance so I am already deciding on a nice centerpiece fish to complete the tank.

I found some beautiful female bettas at my lfs and am torn between getting a single female betta or getting fancy guppies. How many fancy guppies would work in this set up?

:;betta2

2. Zed Initiate Member

Either one would make good tank mates with the platys, they all like similar parameters and water temperature. I personally prefer fancy guppies, Bettas are a little timid, and don't swim around as much, although it does depend on the individual fish. if you decide to add another platy you can add 2 guppies, but you want to stay on top of your maintenance because you'd be at the limit. I know you said that you're planning this months in advance, but it goes without saying that you want to add your fish gradually. Good luck :)

3. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

Thank you so much! I have had two bettas in the past and I definitely agree that they can be super shy. I've never had fancy guppies before but I find them so beautiful and if they work well with the platys I would love to give them a shot. Do you think 2 platys and 3 guppies would be a possibility? Or do the platys need to be in a group of 3 to be happy?

4. Zed Initiate Member

Platys are usually happy in schools of 4-6, but I've had 3 for over a year now, and they get along with other fish in the tank (2 guppies, and 3 balloon mollies) I do think 3 is better, plus the guppies will be a centerpiece of the tank like you said initially. Anyways, these are generally hardy fish, and are pretty easy to care for, so in the end, you can go with what you like, and what you enjoy. Would love to see what you decide to go with. Cheers!