Platy Swimming At Top Of Tank? Help

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by AceFish, Jul 26, 2019.

1. AceFish

AceFishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    I have a 10gal tank and bought 4 fish. (2 platys and 2 mollies) one of my platys has just been swimming in the back left corner of the tank and almost never moving. He's not dead I can see him breathing. Help?

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Did you cycle the tank beforehand?

I wouldn't have platys or mollys in a 10 gallon. Especially the mollys get too large and need way more space than that.

If you didn't cycle the tank I'm guessing the platy isn't feeling well because of parameters being off. If you have a test kit I'd run some tests and see where the numbers are at.

3. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    No I didn't cycle the tank but I just did a 50% water change (and planning on doing it daily) and other people have told me that mollies are fine in a 10gal

4. Kiks

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Well, I'll definitely have to disagree when it comes to tank size. Mollys can grow up to 12 cm/4.8''.

Do you have a test kit? It's necessary to have a kit in order to know your water parameters and hence know when your tank is cycled. It's also the go to thing whenever anything isn't as it should be, like fish behaving oddly.

5. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
  6. Kiks

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Unfortunately the test strips are quite inaccurate. If possible try to get ahold of the API liquid test kit ASAP.

7. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    Like a pond test kit? Because that's the only thing that comes up when I search
    API liquid test kit

8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    2 years
  9. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
  10. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    2 years
    If you go to the pet store and show them that link they will honor that price most likely. A liquid test kit is a must if your planning on being in the fish keeping hobby for the long run.

11. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    Well then I guess my fish are gonna die because there's no way I'm gonna be able to afford that or convince my parents to buy it :/

12. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    Okay it's me again with more questions since I'm a beginner but I have a 10 gal tank with 2 mollies 2 platys and 1 male betta. I had the four of them alone in the tank for about a week until I found out that my bettas tank is too small so I put him in with them, and ever since I added him my starburst Mickey mouse platy has been hiding in the plants and corners. I haven't seen him eat. He's pretty much avoiding the other fish and I'm just worried for him. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Are the other fish bullying him?

13. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hello. I would guess the platy is being bullied by the betta. 10 gallons is much too small for a betta community tank, they are agressive and need lots of room to claim their territory. A 20 gallon is usually the minimum you want for a betta community, and even then it can be iffy depending on the personality of the betta. Platys and mollies are also big waste producers, so keeping up the quality of the water may be a challenge. What size tank did you take the betta out of? He may be better off going back in it, while you work on upgrading to something a bit larger, around 5 gallons or so, for him.

As others have said, a test kit is necessary. They are a tad expensive, but much cheaper than strips in the long run, as you get about 800 tests out of a kit vs 20 out of a bottle of strips. Good luck.

14. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    I took the betta out of a 1 gallon tank which I know is really small and I'm not buying any other tanks my parents won't let me.

15. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Well if you can't buy another tank my suggestion would be to rehome some fish. I'm not trying to be harsh, but they deserve the best life possible, and if you can't provide that for them, they should be given to someone who can. The 10 gallon should have either the platys, the mollies, or the betta, but not all of them together. I would be testing the water with the strips (they're better than nothing) and doing water changes as needed, most likely every day, until you can rehome some of the fish.

16. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    But they were all doing just fine in ten gallons until I added the betta, and other people have told me that they're fine together

17. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Whoever told you that they're fine together lied to you to sell a lot of fish, or didn't know what they were talking about. They may be ok together in a much larger and heavily planted tank, but having them all in a 10 gallon tank is asking for trouble. Also, you mentioned that 1 platy was hiding before adding the betta, and that was probably due to poor water quality, and having them in an uncycled tank. Do your strips measure ammonia? Im willing to bet it's quite high. If they don't, take a water sample into the fish store and they should be able to test it for free. While you're there, you can ask if they take in fish for rehoming.

18. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    I got them all from pet smart and the person that told me was someone on this sight. I don't have the receipts for them so I can't return them what am I supposed to do?

19. pagoda

pagodaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +594
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I understand budget is an issue, its something that we have all faced in the early days of fishkeeping

Can you take a small pot sample of your water to a local fish supplier store, they will test the water for free and give you any help and advice you need to get the water as close to perfect as possible

In relation to your fish type and size mix......you have been given really awful advice by whoever supplied the fish to you. I suggest that you speak to your family and have them go back to the supplying store with you and expain your issues with the manager there. If your parents actually see that a larger aquarium is not that much more of a footprint, they might well relent and allow you to go slightly larger. Then you can put the Betta in your 10 gallon and have your Mollies & Platies in either a new larger aquarium or the supplier might offer an exchange to something smaller that will live happily with your betta in the 10 gallon, its always worth trying to ask the fish supplier to help you out and taking the parents will also give you more confidence and the supplier will listen more if the parents are quite adamant about things too

Above all else do not lose heart, there are ways and means around these issues...patience and a little help will usually find a way :)

20. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Most people on here are quite knowledgeable, but not everyone. It's always best to get a second opinion. Just from reading thru this thread, i can see that everyone who answered you says your overstocked, and they are correct. Petsmart may take them back, but not pay you for them, or you can put them up for free on craigslist, someone may be willing to take them off your hands.