platy suicide

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Platyfan104, Jul 22, 2015.

1. P

Platyfan104 New Member Member

Ok so I had my 2 platys in a 30 gallon tank for a little while now. I added 6 zebra danios last night and this morning my platy was nowhere to be found until i saw it laying on the floor close to 2 feet away from the tank, any idea why this happened...... If it means anything he would always swim up and down the side of the tank for hours

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters? Maybe you need to invest in a good hood, some fish are known to jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    P

The water is almost perfect but I have never heard of platys being known for jumping..... He did seem kind of annoyed by the danios though... I though he might have thought there was more water outside the tank and was trying to get away from them

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's possible the addition of the danios with their high activity level stressed him out or they harassed him.
    Some fish are prone to jumping but tbh I've not heard of platys being one of them.

5. OP
    OP
    P

I heard swimming up and down the glass was them trying to expand their territory and I though maybe that's why he jumped

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice