Platy stressed? What can I do?

Wendybrass

I've had this guy since the end of May. I had 3, 2 females and this guy. I lost the female (accidentally got sunscreen in my tank)

Tank info

32.5 gallon Flex
8 guppies, 3 fry
2 platies, 2 fry
3 zebra danios, not sure if they're male or female
Ramshorn snails
Trumpet snails
Bladder snails

Yesterday test API TEST KIT
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5
Ph 7.6
Heated 76F
1 air stone
Planted tank , driftwood, gravel and stratum

They get fed once a day - bugbites, bugbites flakes, frozen shrimp

Water conditioner Tetra

25% water change 2 days ago with monthly filter and equipment clean (in tank water although there was nothing to clean - bioload is pretty light.) I'll try to post a picture of him
Took one but it keeps getting rejected. However he looks normal - no sign of disease, fins aren't clamped, he's not bloated.

I think one of the Danios has been picking on him. This behavior started after the last water change. I also am trying out an automatic feeder as I'm preparing to be away in September and the one Danio is very aggressive. As this is my first community tank I have no idea what to do. He just hangs out at the bottom, kind of hovering, won't eat.

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_164937832.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220816_164937832.MP.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 8

HupGupp

Do you only have one tank? Moving one or the other out of the tank might be the best way to figure out what's going on. It could be your danio is always going to be aggressive and will always like to pick on someone to show their dominance. Or there could just be something about that platy that triggers an instinct in the others to drive it off. It's hard to know for sure, but I'd say more often than not it is just that you've got a fish with a mean streak.

Wendybrass

Do you only have one tank? Moving one or the other out of the tank might be the best way to figure out what's going on. It could be your danio is always going to be aggressive and will always like to pick on someone to show their dominance. Or there could just be something about that platy that triggers an instinct in the others to drive it off. It's hard to know for sure, but I'd say more often than not it is just that you've got a fish with a mean streak.
Yes I only have one tank set up. I do have a 10 gallon that's not set up so I could get that going. I had intended on using it as a hospital tank. It's black glass so not ideal to see in without shining a flashlight on the fish but nice for sick fish for the same reason, dark. But it won't be cycled and I can't spare any media from my tank. I guess I should get a cycle going in a spare tank though. I am bringing some guppies to my daughter's place with a tank and some media from community tank so I don't want to take any more out. It's a long drive though - 10 hours. I'd like to move her, the platy (yes turns out it's a female) to my daughter's but a stressed fish in a bucket for 10 hours..... What do you think? 5 gallon bucket partially filled with tank water with 3 young guppies, the media and a lid? It'll be completely dark. Bad idea? I have 3 Danios - I read somewhere that if I bring that up to 5 or more they might only pick on their own? And in the meantime, just since I first posted this, one of my guppies dropped a bunch of fry. Now I really wish I'd cycled that tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• galben35
  • Platy
Replies
Views
PlatyLover4
  • JP1996
  • Platy
Replies
Views
JP1996
  • shookyjr