Platy Standing On Her Head

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishLady75, Apr 24, 2018.

1. FishLady75New MemberMember

Ok so I know this is a wierd Q but is it normal for a pregnant platy to basically stand on her head during labor...she began dropping eggs 2 days ago...then stopped and during she has kinda swam/ floated mostly head down and today most of her time is spent head down... 20180424_211756.jpg

2. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

No, that is not normal at all. It seems your platy may be having swim bladder issues.

3. FishLady75New MemberMember

Any recommendations?

4. FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Other than the fact that she seems to have swim bladder issues, dropping eggs is also not normal for platies (they give birth to live fry).

5. FishLady75New MemberMember

Right...one was a stillborn fry after that it was just little orange balls that I assumed were undeveloped eggs...about 4 or 5 of them...the stopped...

6. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

What are your water parameters and do you have her in a breeder box/net?

She definitely sounds ill or stressed. If she's in a box or net pet her out. If you don't know your exact water parameters I'd recommend a large, 50% or more, water change asap to reduce potential water issues.

What is your maintenance schedule? Can you get a close up photo of the fish?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice