Platy Sorority, Will They Breed Even Without A Single Male?

Rack

I want to get me some platys, but I don't want to deal with frys overpopulating my tank. I was first thinking getting all males but I've been told they may fight and become aggressive, so I decided to go with all females, however, I've read somewhere that livebearers will carry the sperms of the male for about 6 months, so they'll still be breeding on they're own. Is that true?

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Yes, unless they are virgin females they probably will have babies. They can have babies for a while even with only one contact with a male.

OP
R

Rack

Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Yes, unless they are virgin females they probably will have babies. They can have babies for a while even with only one contact with a male.
How long do you it will take till they deplete the sperms? 3-4 months?

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Rack said:
How long do you it will take till they deplete the sperms? 3-4 months?
Likely. Sometimes more sometimes less. That's the hard thing about livebearers.

You could try all males - just watch their interactions in the pet store to make sure you don't get any really aggressive ones. Even females can be moody sometimes. How many gallons is the tank to get an idea of how much space we're dealing with? It'll make it easier to say whether all males may work.

OP
R

Rack

Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Likely. Sometimes more sometimes less. That's the hard thing about livebearers.

You could try all males - just watch their interactions in the pet store to make sure you don't get any really aggressive ones. Even females can be moody sometimes. How many gallons is the tank to get an idea of how much space we're dealing with? It'll make it easier to say whether all males may work.
15 gallon.

OP
R

Rack

Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Column or a long tank? Long tank, all males should be fine. In a column, I'd stick to females.
Any particular reason for that? Males are more active than females? It's 20x13x14, not sure what range you'd consider column.

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Rack said:
Any particular reason for that? Males are more active than females? It's 20x13x14, not sure what range you'd consider column.
Column tanks are super tall - like this:
image.jpg

Length and width give male platys more squabbling space in case one needs to get away from the other.

New Threads