Platy sick With white stuffs on pectoral fin

ashkfishkeeper

Hi,
My platy was sitting on bottom of tank and no activity for a month now. I have been observing closely, recently I saw that there is this white substance on boarder of the pectoral fin. I have tried few things already. There is no white sopt anywhere else, any idea?
  1. Changing 50% water every week
  2. Added melafix for last 4 days after noticing the white on fin dont see it has any effect yet
  3. Temperature is 78F
  4. Water test shows Nitrate but its not in unsafe lever

Attachments

Crimson_687

Well Known
you should immediately discontinue the Melafix. It’s not a medicine and will only stress your fish. You can try API fin and body cure. Wherever you got the Melafix from should supply this medicine as well. It looks like what you have might be fin rot. Does the fin seem to be wasting? Can you get another picture?

Can you also give your exact parameters and tank conditions? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, tank mates, tank size, how long you’ve had the fish for?

OP
ashkfishkeeper

ashkfishkeeper

Thanks Crimson_687 so much for the reply.
I will try to get other picture. I could not tell that the fin is wasting yesterday, today the fin on top seems to have gaps So looks like it is. It could be because the boarder is more visible as its white now.

nitrite:0 ppm(mg/L)
nitrate:40 ppm(mg/L)
total hardness: 75 ppm
chlorine: 0 ppm(mg/L)
alkalinity: 0 ppm
ph: 6.8
I don't have test kit to measure ammonia.

Tank is 5 gallon
One Platy and one neon tetra
Both have been in this tank for more than 3 years.
Could take picture that a lot better but this is a bit better.
Also she started swimming on side and laying on the side some times.

Attachments

OP
ashkfishkeeper

ashkfishkeeper

Crimson_687 said:
you should immediately discontinue the Melafix. It’s not a medicine and will only stress your fish. You can try API fin and body cure. Wherever you got the Melafix from should supply this medicine as well. It looks like what you have might be fin rot. Does the fin seem to be wasting? Can you get another picture?

Can you also give your exact parameters and tank conditions? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, tank mates, tank size, how long you’ve had the fish for?
Again, thanks for you reply. Any more idea it provides with the i formation I provided.

Crimson_687

Well Known
One of the main causes of fin rot is poor water quality, so I would up your WCs to remedy that. This will also help you get rid of the Melafix. You can also try things like stress coat and aquarium salt. If the infection gets bad, you may need an antibiotic. Can I ask what you feed them? A good diet may help boost her health

OP
ashkfishkeeper

ashkfishkeeper

Crimson_687 said:
One of the main causes of fin rot is poor water quality, so I would up your WCs to remedy that. This will also help you get rid of the Melafix. You can also try things like stress coat and aquarium salt. If the infection gets bad, you may need an antibiotic. Can I ask what you feed them? A good diet may help boost her health
I feed them fish flakes.
Now the fish id laying on the side and swims up and down randomly. Seems like she is In pain. Not sure if its treatable anymore. Water cha ged but doesnt seem to help.

OP
ashkfishkeeper

ashkfishkeeper

Crimson_687 said:
I feed them fish flakes.
New development, the white is gone from fins. I had not discontinued melafix (). The fins look good. But she is laying flat on the side. Gasping. Randomly swims irregular path upside down.

Crimson_687

Well Known
ashkfishkeeper said:
I feed them fish flakes.
New development, the white is gone from fins. I had not discontinued melafix (). The fins look good. But she is laying flat on the side. Gasping. Randomly swims irregular path upside down.
Water change, see if that helps. Could be something in the water or any leftover Melafix could be irritating her. If you have stress coat it may help

New Threads