Platy Sick, Going To Pick Up Meds Now, Need Advice!

1. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

I just noticed one of my platies looks like she's been sprinkled with white flower. It's all over her body. She behaves as if nothing was wrong, but I think it's an infection, possibly fungus. I am going to pick up meds now and will be checking for your suggestions!

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

From your description it sounds much more like Ich as @goplecos has mentioned. Hopefully you see this before purchase a fungal medication.

4. OP
    OP
    N

5. goplecos

I would QT her. Ich is somewhat contagious and the meds might harm the snails and will almost definitely harm the shrimp.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Once one fish has it, the entire tank is likely infected. I would treat the entire tank.

Edit: Be careful with certain meds especially if you have inverts. I've only ever used the heat method by raising the temp to 86F for 2 weeks with water changes/vacs every other day to pick up the spores. Cheapest and effective way to get rid of ich (harmless to inverts as well).

7. goplecos

You are correct. It would actually be best to QT the snails and shrimp.

8. el337

I actually edited my post but I guess if you're using meds, you can QT them. If you use the heat method, you can just leave them in the tank.

9. OP
    OP
    N

Actually heat method sounds better, I just need to raise temperature to 86? Gonna check though if that would be fine with all my fish

10. el337

11. OP
    OP
    N

Thank you Everybody so much! I read about the heat method and will try that! I also picked up some ich medication, but will use it only if everything else fails. Started to raise my temperature gradually!

12. el337

Just remember not to use both the heat method and meds at the same time. Too harsh on the fish.