Platy Sick After Having Her Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Desiree, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Desiree

Desiree Valued Member Member

My Platy momma had 12 fry a week and a half ago. Since the birth she has been lethargic, clamped fins, staying on the bottom. She does come out to eat. For a while she was also a bit bent but has straightened. She looked better yesterday but then regressed a bit.

Any tips to help her get back to herself? I don't know if this was her first batch but it's her first batch with me.

20 gal high, water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates.

2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Try some aquarium tonic salt in very low doses

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Tell us more about the tank.
    What do you feed, stocking and a pic of the fish would help. I don't like using salt, I would use something like methylene blue baths if you suspect that whatever you want to treat is external and bacterial/fungal.
    If there are any males in the tank consider her putting in a hospital tank so she does not get harrased by males. The hospital tank should be in a calmed place and with dimmed lights if possible, a hiding place may help, basically look for an stress free environment.

4. OP
    OP
    Desiree

Desiree Valued Member Member

It's a 20 gal high with 6 Glofish Tetras, 4 ghost shrimp, 2 endlers, 2 Platy and 14 2 week old Platy fry. I am running a 40 and a 20 whisper filters. I will try and get a picture of her tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice