Platy questions

1. soccermatt Member Member

Hi,
    I am really interested in adding some platies to my tank. I hear that if you buy a female you are almost definatly going to get fry. My tank won't be able to accomodate many other grown platies so I was wondering if it would be alright to add 2-3 male platies.
    Also if I did add 2 females and 1 male and never bothered with a breeder tank would all the fry just get eaten each time the female has them (or would 1-2 survive) or would there be more suvivors.
    Thanks

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

What other fish are in your tank? Could you be more specific in you aquarium info? :) (If we know what other fish are in there, we can help determine whether or not you would have survivors or how many plats could go in without causing issues.) Also, what's your substrate and decor like - that will definitely make a difference on survival chances.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. soccermatt Member Member

they is nothing in my tank yet, but i am hoping to add about 6 cherry barbs. I have a couple fake plants, some rock and an aquarium piece of wood. The substrate is medium sized gravel.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Ahhh, I see. :)

I'm not experienced with cherry barbs, so I don't know how voracious they are when it comes to snacking on fry, but I'm assuming they're like most fishies and will take advantage of the live food if it fits in their mouth. Also, how well the fishies are fed will affect how enthusiastically they hunt down those wrigglers. Gravel (as well as plants, rocks, wood, etc.) tend to provide enough space for at least one or two fry to avoid becoming dinner. Imo, if you have any qualms about what to do with survivors, it's probably best to just go with 2-3 males. :)