Platy Problems!

1. c

camilleson New Member Member

hi everyone. my platy won't come out from behind the filter. the water in the tank is clean and i use a siphon to empty the waste and do water changes. she is a orange female platy and i don't know what is wrong. i have a 5 gallon tank with an overhead light. she doesn't even come out when i feed her and the other guppy in the tank. i am thinking about buying another female platy for her to socialize and play with so she won't be hiding. is this a good idea or not? if i do, should i also buy another guppy for my guppy to have a friend? she come out once every 3 days when i am not looking or near the tank and when i come in she swims away. please help.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

First of all, 5 gallons is too small for platys and guppies. Its best to get a 20 gallon tank for the platy.
    Is the platy new?
    Did you acclimate the platy?

3. OP
    OP
    c

thank you for replying so fast. no the platy is not new. i have had her for a month. and i did not acclimate her. is that a bad thing that i did not?

4. Fish4Ever

Fish4Ever Valued Member Member

Your tank is already a bit over stocked the platty may be being bullied by the guppy. that happened to me once. try having a thin but tall plant/fakeplant in the middle of the tank to brake up line of site/provide better hiding spots

5. OP
    OP
    c

no she is not new. and also i did not acclimate her. is that a bad thing that i did not? thank you for replying.

thank you also for replying. i might invest in a bigger tank to see.

6. FishFish221

What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of the tank?
    Not acclimating fish could cause them to be very stressed and sometimes even die (for more delicate species of fish). Its best to provide more hiding places, so she can be more comfortable in the tank, but you should get at least a 20 gallon ASAP.

OP did not get a guppy yet.

7. OP
    OP
    c

i do not have an ammonia and nitrate test kits yet, and yes i know i need to get them ASAP, so when i get the 20 gallon tank i will get a package of them. thank you for helping, i really appreciate it.

I used water conditioner to lower the ammonia. when i get the 20g tank i will get some kits. thank you for helping.

the cheapest 20 gallon tank i can find is 135 dollars. i don't really want to spend that much. would a 10 gallon tank work for 1 guppy and 1 platy?

8. FishFish221

Yes, it should work fine.

9. OP
    OP
    c

thank you so much for your help. it means a lot to me.

10. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Look on craiglist for cheap tanks. The more you delve into this hobby the more you will want to keep more fish, a 10 gal wont allow you to keep much. A 20 gal is also way more forgiving than a 10 gal.
    When fish hide it means they feel insecure. Adding hiding places can get them out since they feel safer swimming in the open when they know they can easily hide if they want to.