Platy Problems Persist

FishGeek117

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey so I had originally gotten two Platies thinking they were both females. I didn’t properly sex them. I ended up having a male and a female . So I got a few more females after the male was relentless in chasing the female. Added the females a few Weeks ago. Things got better for a bit. However this week the male is attacking the same female before I added the others. He leaves the others alone. Actually the other females hang around him. Does anyone know what’s going on and how I can fix it?

Tank stats
55 gallon
Temp -80
Ph-6.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate-5

Angelmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had the same problem, and in the end had to separate them into two smaller colonies. One thing to check is to make sure your new additions are really females, and not younger unpresented males. In my case, it tool several months for the babies to develop to a point where I could be sure they were males - the analfin looked female, but they held it close to their bellies, like a male fin. If they're really males, he'll continue to chase the older female since she's the only breedable fish in the group.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom