Platy Problem - Please Help

Patchspud

Reaction score
Please can anyone assist. I think my platy may have dropsy. I have checked the chart at the top of the page and think it applies to this fish. I first thought she was just expecting but now all her scales have stood out from her body and she is very bloated. If this is the case - is it contagious? How does it occur? I can't really get a good shot of her but I think I have explained her condition OK.

Water, Temp etc all ok - tested today.

Thankyou

Heather

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
Hello Heather,
I've had a whole bunch of platys slowly die of the pine cone effect over the few years that I've had them. I don't think it's contagious but I've also never been able to cure it.. I have a feeling it's genetic because it's the same family that have all died whereas the other strain of platys that I had have all been fine.
Sorry to hear about it...best of luck
Ursula

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
Actually, Dropsy is extremely contagious and not easy to cure unless you catch it in it's early stages.. any fish that you even suspect of having it should be removed to a quarantine tank and immediately treated.

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
I wonder if its a different disease then - each time one of my platys has died none of my other fish have shown any sign of the illness. It seems to have only affected the mickey mouse platys (none of the plain orange ones);they have died about 6 months to a year apart but with the same symptoms (pine-cone scales, fast breathing, lack of appetite). None of the botias, glasscats, ottos or the plec have contracted or displayed the same symptoms despite all being in the same tank.

OP
P

Patchspud

Reaction score
Still non the wiser though. Should I put her out of her misery then or what? She really looks like a smaller version of a puffer fish. It must be painfull.

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
If you've got a spare quarantine tank (or any container that you can run an airhose to), you could try to save her..ask your LFS for the strongest treatment for Dropsy and give saving her a shot.. I've had fish miraculously recover when it seemed they were about to croak.. if your LFS has a product called AZOO Bacteria Treater, you might want to give it a try.. I'm treating a Chocolate Molly with Dropsy right now with the stuff, and while I can't say for sure how effective it is because I'm using it for the first time, I can tell you that I've used other AZOO treatments for Ich and Fungus, and they've been one hundred percent successful.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Miss Mouse said:
I wonder if its a different disease then - each time one of my platys has died none of my other fish have shown any sign of the illness. It seems to have only affected the mickey mouse platys (none of the plain orange ones);they have died about 6 months to a year apart but with the same symptoms (pine-cone scales, fast breathing, lack of appetite). None of the botias, glasscats, ottos or the plec have contracted or displayed the same symptoms despite all being in the same tank.
My mickey mouse platys died off too, except they died from ich.

OP
P

Patchspud

Reaction score
Never had a problem with that. I think my tank is large enough for them to keep apart. The barbs just keep to themselves.

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
So sad - sorry to hear it. If you have any more keep an eye on them..might be worth treating them in case...

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss.. I too lost my Chocolate Molly to Dropsy, confirming everything I've read up on this disease, it's difficult to cure. On a lighter note, I did manage to get some fry from a Dalmatian that he was practically married to, so I may get another just like him.

New Threads