Platy Problem (pic attached)

C6Silver

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am re-establishing a 20 gallon tank I used to keep many years back. I am a little over 2-weeks into the process and am still working on getting the cycle to start. I have a Micky Mouse Platy who is normally very active and eats well. I believe he has always had a reddish tinge to his gills but I recognized recently that it has become more red and it looks like there is some white roughness there as well. Although I am cycling the tank which is hard on fish, I am trying to keep the ammonia levels as fish safe as possible. The highest ammonia level I have recorded (API Master kit) fell between 1.5ppm and 2ppm. At that recording I did a partial water change (yesterday) removing about 10-15% of the water and replacing it with Stress Coat + treated water.

Today that Platy looks to have taken a turn for the worse. He is at the top of the tank near the heater and filter. He is generally not gasping but he is far from his normal self. Usually a great eater, he let food drift right by him without moving much. I tested the water again and the ammonia has fallen to between .5ppm and 1ppm. Nitrites and Nitrates remain at 0ppm and that part of the cycle has yet to begin. Is this an ammonia problem or perhaps Flukes? Something else?

platy.JPG

Trisha Haarfield

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Perhaps it's Ich. Do u have an air stone? If u use TSS (TETRA SAFE START) u can begin ur cycle more quickly. How is ur ph? Anything get washed with soap or any other chemicals?

<3 LOVE MY FISH<3

C6Silver

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To answer your questions:

1/ I do not have an air stone
2. ph is 7.6
3/ Everything was washed with plain water. Nothing was put into the tank that wasn't first rinsed with plain water. No soaps or chemicals (outside of Stress Coat +) was ever used.

Trisha Haarfield

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She could just be gasping for air. Try an air stone.. That's all I got.

<3 LOVE MY FISH<3

I've never had luck with plates. All that ice owned died. Now mollies and tetra and cories. I get an A lol

<3 LOVE MY FISH<3

C6Silver

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. I don't see a reason for an air problem outside of any infection the fish may have. I had this tank up and running for 6 years without an air stone before without an O2 problem.

Trisha Haarfield

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hope some one else can help u. Sorry. How is platy today?

<3 LOVE MY FISH<3

C6Silver

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately we found him diseased this morning. I have one other Platy that may be developing the same symptoms. The other larger fish (Molly/Tetra) all seem to be doing great.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom