Platy Pregnant? 30 Gallon Tank

1. remy113

remy113 Member Member

Hey guys just curious if one of the platies that I just bought is pregnant. If so it’s fine just am curious and is the other a male? I’ll link pics IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1178.JPG

2. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Member Member

If there's a male, or she ever lived with a male almost 100% chance of pregnancy. Gestation for live bearing fish is usually around 28 days.

3. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

If she is, she still has some time. Hard to tell at this point. She doesn’t have a gravid spot yet but some don’t get them. They are both pretty fish though.

4. OP
    OP
    remy113

remy113 Member Member

I have one male I think and 2 females and the one female I took a pic her belly looks different then the other that’s why I asked. The pet store keeps male and females in one tank

5. HORNET1

HORNET1 Member Member

Go ahead and schedule the baby shower
    Baby-Shower.gif

6. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Member Member

Livebearers are quite prolific, and can remain pregnant/continually reimpregnate themselves with stored spermatozoa for several months once removed from males. Inbreeding isn't too much of an issue either, offspring can produce genetically viable offspring with parents of either sex. I've had other livebearing fish be phenomenally pregnant for a long time, had a molly hold her fry for two months after the male died off - and she was super heavy with babies.

7. OP
    OP
    remy113

remy113 Member Member

Hahaha nice and okay good to know all that