Platy Pregnant?

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just curious if one of the platies that I just bought is pregnant. If so it’s fine just am curious and is the other a male? I’ll link pics
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If there's a male, or she ever lived with a male almost 100% chance of pregnancy. Gestation for live bearing fish is usually around 28 days.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she is, she still has some time. Hard to tell at this point. She doesn’t have a gravid spot yet but some don’t get them. They are both pretty fish though.

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
Crafty Cichlid said:
If there's a male, or she ever lived with a male almost 100% chance of pregnancy. Gestation for live bearing fish is usually around 28 days.
I have one male I think and 2 females and the one female I took a pic her belly looks different then the other that’s why I asked. The pet store keeps male and females in one tank

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Livebearers are quite prolific, and can remain pregnant/continually reimpregnate themselves with stored spermatozoa for several months once removed from males. Inbreeding isn't too much of an issue either, offspring can produce genetically viable offspring with parents of either sex. I've had other livebearing fish be phenomenally pregnant for a long time, had a molly hold her fry for two months after the male died off - and she was super heavy with babies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom