Platy Pregnant For 38 Days?

My Betta Moonstone

Hi,

My platy is pregnant. We got her 48 days ago at a petstore, where she was housed with male platies. She hasn’t come in contact with a male platy since, but I know platies can get re-pregnant for months. I’m not exactly sure when I noticed the pregnancy signs, but I think it was about 38 days ago. So she was supposed to have given birth 10 days ago. Any ideas on what’s wrong?

In the photo, the pregnant platy is the blue-gray one with the gravid spot. The spot isn’t as noticeable in the picture as it is in real life.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 51

chromedome52

Gestation periods aren't an exact science, not even in people! In fish it can be heavily influenced by temperature. That fish doesn't look all that pregnant in the photo.

MissNoodle

Its also plausible she dropped some fry and they were all eaten before you could notice any.

Or, she aborted due to transition to a new home

My Betta Moonstone

Gestation periods aren't an exact science, not even in people! In fish it can be heavily influenced by temperature. That fish doesn't look all that pregnant in the photo.

The previous photo doesn’t show it well. Her stomach is a lighter color than her back and she has a gravid spot about twice the size of her eye. The temperature is 74 degrees Fahrenheit.

Attachments

• 85506274-1733-404D-B5FE-D157019B2803.jpeg
    85506274-1733-404D-B5FE-D157019B2803.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nishadhi
Replies
Views
FreshFishes
Replies