Platy Pecking Order? Guidance Wanted...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by sreiss01, Aug 19, 2019.

?

What should I do?

1. Let it run it's course

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bring back the bigger platy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bring back the smaller platy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sreiss01

sreiss01New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    To start, I have 2 blue Mickey mouse Platies, 1 bumblebee platy, 1 doubletail betta, and some shrimp living in a 10 gallon. Before people say I shouldn't keep my fish together since the betta should have more room due to territory issues, he is a completely chill betta. My other fish steal stuff out of his mouth and he doesn't give a care. It's my blue Mickey mouse Platies I'm concerned about...

A couple weeks ago I had another blue Mickey mouse, but he passed away because he got stuck in a decoration and came out all beat up (yes, I replaced the decoration). He was the "alpha platy". Now that he's gone, my other Mickey mouse Platies are acting... different to say the least.

The bumblebee platy is not involved in this at all. They leave him out of it. I also would like to mention my tank is an all male tank.

A few days ago, I saw one mickey mouse platy chasing the other around. I felt badly because the one being bullied was smaller and didn't look healthy (I ordered some supplies to treat stress). So I put the bully in a floating isolation tank for about a day and a half. Then I put him back into the tank... Well he swims funny around the smaller platy and seems scared of the smaller guy. Yeesh! The smaller platy takes advantage of this and chases around the bigger guy. Well, time out for the small platy.

I kept him in the floating isolation tank overnight and introduced him back in this morning. Then the bigger guy chases the little guy and the little guy looks scared out of his mind. But all of a sudden, he starts to chase him back. Now I have no idea who is in charge and I'm not sure if I should let this run its course. If I should return a fish... Who should I return? Is this pecking order because they need to re-establish it after the alpha died? Or aggression?

I have seen them peck each other, which is not good at all!

Thank you all for your help!! I appreciate it!

2. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Since the alpha is out of the picture, a new fish has to become the alpha, so I think you need to just give it some time.

3. bwer2

bwer2New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Give it time....since he’s gone they are creating the new pecking order

4. OP
    OP
    sreiss01

sreiss01New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Will do, thank you for easing my nerves!

Thank you!! I will be patient!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
  5. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You are welcome.

6. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I’m just wondering why you keep only male platies ?

It would be much easier and less stressful if you had 2 females and 1 male. I have that ratio in my 45 gallons, mind you it’s a lot bigger, but there is no fighting at all.

7. OP
    OP
    sreiss01

sreiss01New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    I hadn't thought about it when I first wanted fish about male or female and ratios. I got the 3 Mickey mouse Platies first and didn't realize they were males until later on. They were super mellow and chill with the 3 of each other. I wanted another platy so I got another male (bumblebee platy) so there wouldn't be fighting over a single female. Then the alpha male died. I also realized I didn't want fry since I'll be taking them to college and I don't have a tank large enough to house them (I have to downsize my tank a bit when I go to college, which is why I haven't gotten more fish).

So for my long answer. I hadn't thought about it at first, then when I did, I didn't think it would be fair to rehome them (plus I was already attached to them). I also have done some research and it seems like even if I did keep 2 females and 1 male, there still could be problems.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019