Platy or Swordtail What do you think?

Kaylah

Couple questions.
1) I've been told this is just a platy and also a swordtail. can anyone tell the difference
2) She's been larger for weeks but I see no big gravid spot so unsure if pregnant.

Although today she got huge it seems and I see by her analfin is like enlarged white circle. I tried to catch it in photos. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210722_121548.jpg
    20210722_121548.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210722_135238.jpg
    20210722_135238.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210722_135235.jpg
    20210722_135235.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 19

JtheFishMan

New here and think I'm in the right spot
Couple questions.
1) I've been told this is just a platy and also a swordtail. can anyone tell the difference
2) She's been larger for weeks but I see no big gravid spot so unsure if pregnant.

Although today she got huge it seems and I see by her analfin is like enlarged white circle. I tried to catch it in photos. Any thoughts?
From my personal experience, this is a normal platy. Swordtails have distinct tails, which I will attach photos to this post. It's very easy to tell the difference between normal platies and swordtails.

Regarding the gravid spot, a gravid spot only really indicates the gender of the platies, as males don't have them. She does, however, look very pregnant, maybe ready to deliver within a few days (her stomach looks like it is beginning to square off).

Upvote 0

Kaylah

From my personal experience, this is a normal platy. Swordtails have distinct tails, which I will attach photos to this post. It's very easy to tell the difference between normal platies and swordtails.

Regarding the gravid spot, a gravid spot only really indicates the gender of the platies, as males don't have them. She does, however, look very pregnant, maybe ready to deliver within a few days (her stomach looks like it is beginning to square off).
Thank you for all the information! Honestly we thought she was pregnant before then just settled she's chunky ☺

Upvote 0

chromedome52

It is a young Swordtail. Male Swords will grow the distinct "sword" on the tail, females do not. Platies are stockier in build, swords a little more elongate. Mature females would have a more evident gravid spot, but because it is still young, I think this fish could go either way.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Threads have been merged

Upvote 0

emeraldking

This is definitely a female swordtail and absolutely no platy. The body shape and the lateral line says enough. And she's pregnant. I believe that I already made this remark in another topic of yours.
The gravid spot itself doesn't indicate a pregnancy at all. For it's just a translucent part of the skin. Which makes it possible to see what happens inside. If a female is pregnant, the belly will grow, the gravid spot starts to stretch. This stretching makes one believe that the gravid spot is getting bigger. While the gravid spot itself remains the same size, only the stretching makes it suggest to getting bigger. While the stretching makes the skin of the gravid spot thinner, the better you'll see the development of the embryos shine through the skin. Once the fry are born, the gravid spot will "visually" shrink and the thickness of the skin on that spot is as thick as before.

Upvote 0

Kaylah

This is definitely a female swordtail and absolutely no platy. The body shape and the lateral line says enough. And she's pregnant. I believe that I already made this remark in another topic of yours.
The gravid spot itself doesn't indicate a pregnancy at all. For it's just a translucent part of the skin. Which makes it possible to see what happens inside. If a female is pregnant, the belly will grow, the gravid spot starts to stretch. This stretching makes one believe that the gravid spot is getting bigger. While the gravid spot itself remains the same size, only the stretching makes it suggest to getting bigger. While the stretching makes the skin of the gravid spot thinner, the better you'll see the development of the embryos shine through the skin. Once the fry are born, the gravid spot will "visually" shrink and the thickness of the skin on that spot is as thick as before.
Thank you! Yes I believe you did. we got confused because she keeps getting large and then just chunky looking. couple days later she's huge, then a couple days after that she just looks chunky so it's hard to imagine she is pregnant I guess. still so new to this

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kcaskew
Replies
Views
Dreamscaper
Replies
Views
LeafY4life77
  • Question