Platy Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elding14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I’ve had this sweet boy for a few weeks now with another very similar to him just with slightly different coloring and a small school of neon tetras. They were sold to me as platys but I’m not 100% sure if this was correct. They seem to have much more flowing fins than almost all platys I’ve seen and are a bit smaller. Is it possible I’m underfeeding them and they just need more food to grow into a more traditional platter were they possibly mislabeled? I feed them a small/medium pinch of flakes once a day fasting one day per week, with blood worms every few days. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all! I’ve had this sweet boy for a few weeks now with another very similar to him just with slightly different coloring and a small school of neon tetras. They were sold to me as platys but I’m not 100% sure if this was correct. They seem to have much more flowing fins than almost all platys I’ve seen and are a bit smaller. Is it possible I’m underfeeding them and they just need more food to grow into a more traditional platter were they possibly mislabeled? I feed them a small/medium pinch of flakes once a day fasting one day per week, with blood worms every few days. Thanks for the help!
Hello el...

That's a species of Fancy Guppy, very likely a "fantail". Considering the coloring, this is a male. I've had some larger males in the past, but the fish definitely is not a Platy. Platys have a much thicker body and their tails do not look like the tail on your fish.

Old

elding14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I knew something was off about his classification.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VideoCapture_20181230-154224.jpg
VideoCapture_20181230-154236.jpg
VideoCapture_20181230-154251.jpg

Just for future reference, these guys are platies. The top orange and black platy is a sunset wag coloring, (Her name s Gaia) The white platy with the black tail is a panda platy, (Her name is Maia) and the green and white platy is a sort of crystal ball platy/Spotted/green lantern platy (Her name is Kaylen)

As you can see they are VERY different from guppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom