Platy Or Not?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by elding14, Feb 19, 2019.

1. elding14New MemberMember

Hello all! I’ve had this sweet boy for a few weeks now with another very similar to him just with slightly different coloring and a small school of neon tetras. They were sold to me as platys but I’m not 100% sure if this was correct. They seem to have much more flowing fins than almost all platys I’ve seen and are a bit smaller. Is it possible I’m underfeeding them and they just need more food to grow into a more traditional platter were they possibly mislabeled? I feed them a small/medium pinch of flakes once a day fasting one day per week, with blood worms every few days. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

That is a male guppy. I am not sure who sold you that fish as a platy but they have no ideas of what platys look like. Also Its good that you fast them although I would back off the blood worms to once a week since those can cause constipation

3. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello el...

That's a species of Fancy Guppy, very likely a "fantail". Considering the coloring, this is a male. I've had some larger males in the past, but the fish definitely is not a Platy. Platys have a much thicker body and their tails do not look like the tail on your fish.

Old

4. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Definitely a male guppy as pp have said. He's beautiful too!

5. BettaishValued MemberMember

It's a good looking male guppy.

6. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

100% Guppy

7. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

10000000000000000% guppy

8. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Very cute guppy. I have one that looks a lot like that.

9. elding14New MemberMember

Thank you all so much! I knew something was off about his classification.

10. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Maybe that Guppy identifies as a Platy. Who knows... :D:rolleyes:

11. elding14New MemberMember

Haha I’ll have to ask him!

12. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

VideoCapture_20181230-154224.jpgVideoCapture_20181230-154236.jpgVideoCapture_20181230-154251.jpg

Just for future reference, these guys are platies. The top orange and black platy is a sunset wag coloring, (Her name s Gaia) The white platy with the black tail is a panda platy, (Her name is Maia) and the green and white platy is a sort of crystal ball platy/Spotted/green lantern platy (Her name is Kaylen)

As you can see they are VERY different from guppies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice