Platy not dropping fry

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by kidster9700, Jul 29, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Alright, I've had quite a bit of experience with breeding platies, and this girl is taking forever to drop. It's been two months now!
    My other girl wasn't as far along and dropped last week, although she ended up holding them in and birthing still borns from being in a breeder net.
    Here's some pictures. She appears to have a white spot where her gravid spot would be, so idk what's up with that. I can see the fry in her, and she is nicely squared off. She's been in my 10g fry tank about three days now and is filling it up with poop that the sponge filter won't be able to handle so I need her to hurry up so I can move her out. Now, the tank IS cycling but the water is treated with prime. It might actually be cycled by now but since I'm also using stability my tests aren't going to show up accurately yet.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438206390.267900.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438206432.769185.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438206467.504537.jpg
    Those last two are actually from Monday. The first one is from today.

EDIT: she hasn't been ready to drop for two months, she's been preggers for two months

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

I'm not seeing a Gravid spot in these pics. Maybe they're not clear enough. It does seem from the first picture that she has internal parasites from her white poop. Is it possible she's not pregnant, but bloated and needs med?

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

All her poop has been brown or sometimes pink after she gets frozen bloodworms. But she has been increasing in size over the last two months, does not have a gravid spot (although that means nothing to me because about half my platies haven't ever gotten them) and I can see the fry in her since she's rather translucent.
    On the parasite issue, thank you for pointing that out. I wouldn't have thought anything of her white poop. Currently she's pooping a light pink strand, so maybe it's almost passed.
    There's a lot of glare in my room, so I can actually try posting a video of her if that would help.

EDIT:   I forgot to turn my camera sideways...

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I think she may have aborted and is re absorbing them. That's really disappointing. I don't know what else it would be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice