Platy mouth always moving and won’t eat (emergency)

Adam510

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 4 platys, 5 amano shrimp, 5 neon tetras, 1 cherry barb, 1 nerite snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 15%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Haven’t vacuumed the substrate in the 3 months but plan on doing it soon

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water?
Api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm or less
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 6.4-6.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every day or every other day
How much do you feed your fish? Don’t measure but it’s always all gone in 3 minutes or less
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Yes Brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 7 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Mouth doesn’t stop moving, won’t eat, very skinny.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, not sure what to use
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Nope
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Just becoming very skinny, also won’t move much for periods of time.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
About 5 days ago I noticed one of my platies becoming a bit skinnier, didn’t think much of it because he was always really big so I thought he was just not eating as much. Yesterday I noticed his mouth was constantly moving as if he was trying to breathe. I then noticed he was very skinny and could almost start to see through him. I watched him try to eat which I noticed when he tried to put food in his mouth he instantly spat it back out due to his mouth non stop moving. I am very worried he has something seriously wrong with him and he is going to start to starve to death.

Mudminnow

I'm not great at diagnosing fish diseases. But, it sounds to me that your fish may have "wasting disease". Try reading up on wasting disease and see if that fits.

Adam510

I'm not great at diagnosing fish diseases. But, it sounds to me that your fish may have "wasting disease". Try reading up on wasting disease and see if that fits.
I think that seems like it. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to order the medicine for the little guy on Amazon and it won’t arrive until January… do you think he’ll still be alive by then? :(
I need to get metronidazole and it’s not in store anywhere near me
Edit: Walmart in my city has tetra lifeguard which says it treats parasitic diseases so I’m going to go buy it right now and I’m praying it’s what I need and it works!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DejaVu22
Replies
Views
Effieee
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views