Platy, Molly, Something Else?

1. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Can you identify the species of the two darkest red/orange live bearers here? The woman who gave them to me said they were mollies though I thought they looked more like platies. I have tried mollies in the tank and platies in the tank to no avail. This male only has eyes for her :/

0802171059b-1.jpg 0802171058b-1.jpg 0802171059-1.jpg 0802171058c-1.jpg 0802171100d-1.jpg
    (please excuse the hideous and poorly placed background - I put it on in a rush to help darken the tank and never bothered to reapply :/ )

Attached Files:

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They are platies

3. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Yeah definitely platies

4. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

That might be the brightest red platy I have ever seen... do you have a red light on it?

5. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Let's see... It's p-08 on the satellite pro. I'm not sure what setting is all white. I'll try to take another pic with white light.

So this particular male only likes his same color mate I guess. I thought they weren't supposed to be picky. I feel sorry for her chased all day when there are 3 other female platies in the tank.

Brb with another photo

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You have platies.

7. BottomDweller

Colour doesn't really matter in my experience, but they do have favourites. Generally males prefer the larger females.

8. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

I found an all white setting tho it's only every 4th light so it's kinda dim.

I guess she's a favorite then but she's never given birth and she isn't the biggest. Maybe even the smallest. One of my sunsets arrived pregnant and gave birth a couple weeks ago. He doesn't pay her any mind at all :/

Here he is with a sunset and twin bar platy as well as a red cap to my heater ;)
    0802171157-1.jpg 0802171157c-1.jpg
    I haven't seen this exact type in stores yet but I wanted various colors in the tank anyway. Maybe I should just get rid of the male altogether lol

9. BottomDweller

Yeah I had one male (Robert) with 5 females and there were 2 he would chase all the time. One ended up getting hurt while trying to get away from him so I removed him. Robert now lives in a 10 gallon all by himself and the ladies are much happier.

10. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Does anyone know what type platy it is?

11. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Do you have anything else in the 10 gallon with Rob? Can I call him that?
    This fellow is Billy the kid and Cecilia is the poor girl he won't leave alone. The sunsets are Juliet and Delilah. If you have figured out the theme I bet you could guess the last females name :p

I am actually currently scaping at 30 gallon tank that I was going to use as a live bearer colony. I was going to put these 5 platies in there but if Billy isn't going to cooperate maybe I should get a different male??? Should I choose a male of a different type platy than any already in the tank So he is less likely to discriminate?

12. BottomDweller

No he's all alone for now with one bladder snail. I may put some amano shrimp in with him though. Yeah my sister calls him Rob anyway.

They don't really care what colour the females are. I don't know how if he'd be able to see what colour he himself is to compare to them anyway.

13. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Mollies aren't that colorful

14. Betta Genetics

Betta Genetics Valued Member Member

I belive this fish is a platy fish