Important Platy missing its face

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'm gonna be sick... I flipped on my tank lights this am and saw my platy down at the bottom right against the glass. Thought the mouth looked weird so I grabbed a magnifying glass to get a better look.

It's literally missing its mouth.

There's just a hole there now.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20g
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes (see my info)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76F°
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
9 Lemon Tetras
7 Galaxy Rasboros
2 Honey Gouramis
2 juvenile (1 inch) red coral dwarf platys
1 juvenile black guppy
3 or 4 ghost shrimp
1 ivory Snail
1 pointy shell snail that hangs on the side of tank

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 1-3 days
How much of the water do you change? 20%-50% (usually 1 bigger one a week)
What do you use to treat your water? Prime and nutrafin aqua+
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Used seeded media
What do you use to test the water? Liquid ammonia test, test strips for everything else
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0(?)
Nitrate: 0(?) (The test strips are garbage, everywhere was sold out of the master test kit tho)
pH: 7.2

Those numbers are all from the 28th, I'll redo them if anyone thinks I should just trying not to panic rn

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? Enough that I see everyone get a couple bites, the lemons are very competitive
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, top Fin crumbles, homemade snail food that everyone eats instead of the snails, occasional live bloodworms or earthworms chopped up tiny
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2-3 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Half an hour ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
It looks like someone just ground the platys mouth off its face. Eyes are fine. Mouth hole is still there. Platy is swimming around still but not very much. There's white stuff trailing off the injury that looks more like dead flesh than ich or any sort of disease. A bit of blood on face
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Removed fish from tank into small container with tank water
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
See above

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I think what might have happened is the platy ground its own face up trying to get food out from between gravel. My substrate sucks and it's smaller gravel with random pebbles all different sizes on top, it makes for a lot of little areas food gets wedged. I always saw the platys wiggling in to get food- I didn't think this would happen!! I'm gonna cry I feel like such an **** for letting this happen to my poor platy. I even just bought sand to switch the substrate with... :( Wish I had last night... Is there anything I can do for my poor platy? I don't want to try to take a pic but I will it I have to, it's just pretty bad. Will it make it if I keep the water really clean? Help!! :( :( :(

OP
Fae

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My bf took a look at it, and he says it looks like another fish bit it off. Could one of the honey Gouramis have done that? They attack my snail if I don't feed them often enough so I could see them going for a fish 1/3 their size

OP
Fae

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I had to euthenize it... I'm so mad at myself, I didn't safety proof the filter intake on the hospital tank I threw together. Any chance it might have had of making it went into the filter with my platy when I walked away for two seconds.
I ripped it apart as soon as I noticed but the damage was done. Platy was in rough shape.
I only had clove oil mixed with coconut oil, which despite my overdosing wasn't enough to completely knock it out. So I cut it's head off :bigtears:

Upon examining it's dead body, I think my initial hypothesis was correct, that it ground its own mouth off wedging between rocks. Only the top lip area was gone, and the flesh was mangled, not teared.

Lesson learned, unfortunately a life was the cost of it. I feel so guilty. This was completely my fault.

Rip lil guy; you had so much more life to give but at least now you'll get to come back as a shark or something probably

OP
Fae

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mrjohn said:
Sorry that you had to go through that. :(
Thank you it was terrible and I'm redoing my tank now with the sand so nobody gets hurt like that ever again. Platys go so ham! I swear some fish are like "that looks much too small/difficult/painful for me to swim into. I'm gonna swim into it"

New Threads