Platy Missing A Pelvic Fin. Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by GingerBeardMan35, Apr 16, 2018.

1. GingerBeardMan35

GingerBeardMan35 New Member Member

I brought home some platies from the LFS this weekend. After placing them in my qt tank I noticed one of them is missing a pelvic fin. Pretty much just has a knub on one side. She swims just fine but I’m wondering if it possibly a birth defect, injury, or a result of possible fin rot? Is there anything I should do to check on the fish? Is worst case scenario that it is fin rot, and if so what should I do next? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

if the entire pelvic fin is missing, sometimes they get caught in nets and broken off. You wouldn't really see the entire fin missing if it had fin rot. The fin won't normally grow back and he will have a permanent nub over there. If the injury looks open, i would put in some anti fungul herbal medication and some indian almond leaves to inhibit fungus.

3. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

poor little guy :(
    but some of the medication provided by @DutchAquarium is recommended
    good luck on your fish!

4. OP
    OP
    GingerBeardMan35

Thanks for the replies!

Where would I find those herbal medications?? Would a LFS possibly have them?

On a side note another of the Platies has a single white dot on her tail . Any way this dot isn’t ich? Glad I have a qt at least.

5. Comet-Aurum

send a pic plz

6. OP
    OP
    GingerBeardMan35

C6C50C82-02A3-4F27-8049-6AC733D4676F.jpeg 2FD04639-0384-4ACC-9B2B-6F35A5A2CAE1.jpeg Here are a couple photos I took quick. Let me know if the resolution isn’t good enough! It’s the top fish in both pics.

7. Comet-Aurum

ok...
    so do you see ANY other dots?

8. OP
    OP
    GingerBeardMan35

No, that is the only dot on any of the fish. It is visible from both sides of the fish in question if that means anything...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice