platy male or female

Discussion in 'Platy' started by zebra, Apr 5, 2006.

1. zebraValued MemberMember

Took the danios back to LFS and got two platies to go in with my angel.
    Who my little boy has dubbed "Big Guy" and the platies are batman and robin
    --Was Just wondering if there is anyway to tell male or female -- regarding the platies.
    Someone was saying that you can look on the stomach between the two fins and if you see a tube theres a male if no tube you have a female.
    I am trying to look but each time I begin to look, the little buggers move. I think they think it's dinner time.
    I am glad that I got them to go with the angel. Angel seems happy, they seem happy, and I am happy.
    We'll wait for about another week before adding any new additions, want to make sure everyone stays happy, and no fin nipping like before.
    Thanks

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

It is easy to sex platys. Simply look at the anal fin (the single one on the bottom of the fish, in front of the pair of fins). In females it is large and fan-shaped. In males it is pointed and narrow--tube-shaped--it is modified for internal fertilization of the females eggs. ;) If you got 2 males or 2 females you are fine, but if you have both you will a) have a LOT of fry and b) need to get another female or the male could chase the female to death.

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Good explanation 0morrokh!! Also the Angel will eat all the fry.
    Carol

4. zebraValued MemberMember

Thanks, looks like I have two females. I hope to better at this one day, but they are getting along really well and the fin looks like a fan. I am glad that no one saw me earlier trying to look at the bottom of the platies, I probably looked a little crazy....
    To Butterfly???
    I have wanted to ask yu some questions but wasnt really sure how to get ahold of you directly.
    Have a 20gal. tank Love my Angel, now have added the platies.
    Want to build the tank around the angel. Gunnie said that you have alot of experience with them (angels)
    --Have you ever had angels with guppies, some members say they have and works out and some say they really wouldn't recomend it.
    --I would like to get your in put, if possible, about the guppies and other tankmates for the angels.
    The one thing I really want to stay away from is fin nipping
    I want to do this slowly so won't be getting any until next week, so I have a week to decide about the next two.
    Thanks, Sharon

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Angels and guppies will do fine together providing you have lots of plants. Makes no difference if they are live(my favorite) or artificial. the trick to putting angels with smaller fish is to make sure they won't fit in the angels mouth.
    I have larger neons with my angels and they look really good together and the angels won't eat them.
    Platys are another good addition with angels and they (like guppies)come in all different colors and designs.HTH
    Heres my angel tank as it stands right now
    Carol

Attached Files:

6. zebraValued MemberMember

Looks beautiful thanks for the info and the pics. Since so new to this any little bit of help especially in the way of pics is great!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love the plants,
    Have not added driftwood yet...
    Someone had said you need to something with it before putting in tank.
    --What has to be done before adding it to the tank.
    The angel is still small, about the size of a kennedy half dollar. (body wise)
    I was hoping that you were going to say that they should work together. They are also one of my favorite fish, so pretty and oh those tails, pretty unbelievable that all that color can go into one little fish.
    So it looks like next Friday will get two more additions for the tank. Manager at LFS lets me know when they get their new fish and when they will be for sale (after their isolation process -- makes sure fish are healthy before sale).
    Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

7. zebraValued MemberMember

Butterfly,
    --What plant do you have floating on top?
    Love how You used the small terracotta pot to prop up what I am not sure and the plants growing over the top.
    Also loves the way your tank looks so natural. Its great that you've used things like driftwood, plants, rocks, etc. to make a very natural evironment for the fish.
    I hope you don't mind, but I may steal some of your ideas.
    I am not really attracted to the things that are produced by manufacturers, like the plastic castles, etc.
    I like more of the natural approach such as yours. It looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again, Sharon

8. skippiValued MemberMember

Nice tank Butterfly, I too am getting hooked on live plants much to the dislike and like of my boyfriend. He likes the way it looks but is starting to add up all the little things I keep adding to my tank and Not liking where it is going. He lets me do what I want though. Just have to slow down on the adding things route. I just can't help my self I want everything. ;D

Zebra,
    Good luck with your tank. The help you get on here is awesome.

Heidi

9. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Sharon most of the driftwood in the stores is already to use, just rinse it well to get any dust off. Lots of people recommend boiling it first, this is what I do if it is a piece I've collected myself. If it doesn't have rocks screwed to it(mine does) then it will float and you will have to find soe way to weight it down. After a good long while it will be water logged and sink.
    Thank you for the kind compliments :) I love my fish and love taking their pictures and find it easier to explain sometimes with pictures.
    The far right hand corner has  red tiger lotus leaves floating, the other is wister floating.
    My betta likes the floating plants to rest/eat in.
    the small terra cotta pot is supporting a flat rock with Java Moss on top of it.
    Use any of my ideas you like.
    Carol

10. zebraValued MemberMember

Butterfly thanks so much.
    Told you that I had alot of questions to ask you. Now that I have your ear...
    I have some more:
    --Regarding the guppies, what do you feed them, both type of food and manufacturer would be appreciated.
    want to start out right.
    --Question about betta, Got a beautiful blue male a couple of weeks ago, he has really longggg fins, he is in a five gal., seems to be very happy and healthy, gives me bubble nests all day, swims all over the tank, and like yours he sleeps in the plant, also has made use of the heater as a warm place to sleep as well and a spiny toy, swimming in and out of round and round.
    --The problem I am having is with the filter, It seems to be to strong for him even on the lowest setting, it seems to pull on his fins, almost like a vaccume.
    --Is there a good filter for bettas, not so strong?Type and Manufacturer, I have an elite right now.
    --Saw that Chickadee was talking about an air stone, Would you know what kind of pump she is using, I know that you cant have too much pressure because that will freak the betta out. I knwo that they like still water. I am having a hard time trying to find a pump with adjustable pressure.
    Thanks Again, and thanks to Skippi, we can all use a wish of luck, and yes the help you get her is really awesome!!!!!!!!!!

11. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I feed all my livebears(guppies, platys,endlers) one meal of Omega One veggie flakes every day(usually in the morning) then one meal of a variety of things, Omega One color flakes, frozen blood worms, Omega One freeze dried blood worms, Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp, and just about anything else they will eat(Not all at once of course, just a variety on different days). they just need a variety. The veggies are important, they need vitamin c to have healthy babies and they come from places with lots of algae.
    As for teh betta- the filter may be too big for his small tank, maybe you could put something in front of it to break up the pull a little. Since my betta is in the 75g he has alot of room to find a still place to rest if he wants . Chickadee can give you more informed advice about a filter for that size tank.
    Carol

12. skippiValued MemberMember

Zebra,

as far as airstones and pressure, there are connectors/splitters that you can buy that will let you regulate the amount of air flowing through them. These also let you connect more then one tube to the pump.

Below is a pic of mine. is just a ceap on from wally world. there are different kinds that you can get though.

Heidi

Attached Files:

13. zebraValued MemberMember

Thank you ladies.
    If you speak to Chickadee later, would you let her know that I have questions for her regarding the filter
    And WoW!!!!!!!!!!!! 7 kids.
    --As for the airpump not really familiar with alot of them, have whisper air filter on my big tank but it has no flow control, and have another it has no flow control either.
    --Is the flow control a seperate device? Like you have in the pic, looks like a plastic contraption with Knobs.
    Because even for my big tank the pressure seems a little strong, would like to mellow it out a little.
    Thanks again, Sharon

14. skippiValued MemberMember

Zebra-

Yes it would. The knobs control the amount of air running to each tube. I have this hooked onto my 55 gal tank. I have a large air pump with double outputs on it. So I ran one tube to my splitter and am running 2 air stones off of it. the other tube is running to my other tank. It makes it easier to have more then one bubble curtain and less "current" in your tank.

Hope this makes sense.

Heidi

Yip 7 kids. Though only 4 are all mine we are the brady bunch here plus one. :D :D :D

15. zebraValued MemberMember

Heidi:
    Very good explantion and the pic helped alot.
    Because part of the problem I was/am having is with the "wake/current" on top.
    Should be able to calm things down.
    Brady bunch sounds like a lot of fun,
    Do they help with the water changes? Are you training them early? Or is the tank your little bit of peace on earth?
    Thanks again, Sharon

16. skippiValued MemberMember

;D I am glad that I could help you out. Just yell if you need anything I will try to help, though i am a newbie at this also. so my advice it limited to what I have some knowledge of little that it is.. hahaha....

Yes the kids are all enjoying the tank. My biggest problem is trying to get them to quite messing with stuff. They are over helpful.trying to feed, change water. The middle one who is 9 is a endless stream of questions. We finally let him loose on the internet last night and told him to look up his questions. That gave us some quiet time. :) Even my 4 month old likes to sit and watch the fishi. They are all fighting over who gets to pick out their fish to add to the tank next. It gets crazy but I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.

Even our cats get into the fun...

Heidi

Attached Files:

17. zebraValued MemberMember

That's great.
    Looks like Kitty likes them as well. I know my little boy (3 &1/2) really wants to help too, very cute.
    Thanks for all of the help. Great that there's a place like fish lore, makes being a newbie alot easier not only on us, but on the fish as well.
    thanks again, have a great day.

18. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

The filters in both of my larger tanks are bio-wheels by Marineland that came with the tank set-up, but the best filter I have found for a betta and is fully adjustable is the Duetto filter by Marineland. It has a two part sponge filter inside and one half is the biological filter that is never changed just rinsed. The other half is cleaned in used tank water about every 2 weeks and replaced. These will last a long time. I use the Duetto Mini in Misty's tank and it is good for a tank of up to 5 gallons. There are 2 larger Duetto models available. They do have carbon cartridges available for them but I do not use them as carbon doesn't do anything but remove medication when needed anyway. I use the smallest air pump that I can find (cheap one from Walmart) and then buy one of the valves to place in the airline that allows you to control the airflow by turning a wheel until the bubbles are at the level you want.

Here are a few links for some examples of what I am talking about:

An example of filters the smallest would be able to handle the job well if you don't already have one, but if you already have one you may just have to insert the little adjustment valve in the set in the next link:

Here are some little items that are for setting up airlines to fit your needs. The only ones you will probably use out of the set will be the ones that have the little knobs to raise and lower the amount of air that flows through the lines.

Now for the Duetto filters:

These are the best I have found and if the Duetto isn't what you are looking for any sponge filter is going to be gentle enough for your betta. I prefer to have one in one of my tanks anyway to keep on hand if I need a hospital tank in a hurry. They do tend to be a bit big but they are gentle.

Rose

19. zebraValued MemberMember

Thanks Rose, unfortuneately got to your post to late.
    Went out to pet store today and got Whisper in-tank filter. It is the first filter that I have put in the tank that is not sucking "Blue" up like a vaccume. And it is driven by air so it is circulating the water nicely.
    He was curious and flairing at first, but calmed down and is actually swimming around it, he actually seems to like the little bit of current coming out of the top.
    I want to check out the other ones though. I know what you where saying about carbon and this does have a carbon filter. Maybe I will, get one of the ones you were talking about and use the whisper as a spare.
    Thanks for all of the advice. One thing nice about Fish lore is that you can look at the other posts and get advice or answers without asking any questions. I've gotten alot of information from you and your posts, regarding bettas, has been very helpful.
    By the way, where you gone? Hadn't seen you on the sight for a while and thanks for the pics of the pandas really cute.
    Thanks Again, Sharon

20. zebraValued MemberMember

Rose just went to the site you have listed. Beautiful pics.
    Love the garden.
    Sharon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice