Platy lying on bottom breathing heavily, possible fin rot too

LeafY4life77

Hi, I have a platy who is laying on the bottom, and breathing heavily.
It all started yesterday when I saw her on the bottom, and didn't think much of it. Now she is laying sideways, and breathing heavily with what looks like possible fin rot on her tail. She is very skinny and has always been this way, but her laying on the bottom is new. I do have some other problems with fish in this tank.
The first being a black molly female which seems to be bloated, and staying in a certain area all the time. My second issue is my guppy female who I have not been able to find (the last time I saw her was last night). The next problem is my male guppy he seems to swim oddly tilted to the side. He will king of shake tilted to the side if that make sense. And finally my female platy was doing circles, and died about three weeks ago.
SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE

I would really appreciate help with this! (she looks bad right now!)
All my parameters are good, and I do two water changes a week. This is a 29g, with 3 mollys, 2 guppys, and 3 platys. How can I help her!?!

-Thank you so much!

Fisch

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you please fill the Emergency Template? That woll prevent a lot of additional questions, and could narrow down the cause a bit

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

I have done this a lot and it doesn't seem to help much, but here you go:

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29g
How long has the tank been running? 3-4 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
3 mollys, 3 platys, 2 guppys

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? twice a week
How much of the water do you change? 25-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? all

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? every day
How much do you feed your fish? a pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tropical flake, shrimp pellets.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 7 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? laying on the bottom sideways, breathing heavily fin rot maybe.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? she's always been super skiny.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Maybe she has fin rot? And she is laying on the bottom.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Ok, so last night I looked over, and saw my platy laying on the bottom. I didn't think much of it because she started swimming a couple hours later. Today I am seeing her tilted sideways and breathing heavily, she also has what looks like possible fin rot. (A lot of bad stuff has been happening to my fish and I listed that in the start of this tread) I want to know if there is anything I can do?

(Edit) she looks to be dead now

(Edit) I scooped her out and she is starting to breath...

Upvote 0

Shrimpgeek

Do you have any tetra lifeguard? I find it to be an excellent cure all. Put her in a separate bucket with an air stone and try that.

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

She passed away last night , but thanks so much for trying to help. I still need to figure out whats wrong with this tank.
I know Something is definitely eaten away her fin. I have a guppy who looks like she has missing parts of her tail too. So I'm thinking fin rot...But I am not sure...

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

Ok guys, what do you think, is this fin rot?

818E11C6-11E1-4A52-860F-E3CDE14D4C93.jpeg
B59518A5-475E-4A10-9171-7773410241AA.jpeg
66281501-A3DC-454E-AE9B-4930587AAB49.jpeg

Upvote 0

wintryfish

I can't tell very well from the pictures, but does the guppy have white edging around their fins? If so, you've probably got fin rot. I would dose with aquarium salt (rather cheap compared to fin rot cures, and I find it works the best.) I would just dose the entire aquarium with salt instead of setting up a quarantine tank, mainly because if one fish has fin rot, the others probably do too.
It could be nipping, but all your fish that you've listed are peaceful ones. Have you observed any violent chasing?
Rip fish!!

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

I can't tell very well from the pictures, but does the guppy have white edging around their fins? If so, you've probably got fin rot. I would dose with aquarium salt (rather cheap compared to fin rot cures, and I find it works the best.) I would just dose the entire aquarium with salt instead of setting up a quarantine tank, mainly because if one fish has fin rot, the others probably do too.
It could be nipping, but all your fish that you've listed are peaceful ones. Have you observed any violent chasing?
Rip fish!!

I do not know if she has white edging around her fins, because I am away from home ATM.
I haven’t really seen violent chasing, but the male will sorta chase her when he’s trying to mate. My fish usually just leave her alone I think...
If it was fin rot how much salt would I be adding?

-thanks for your help

(Edit) She has been hiding all day if that means something..

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

Ok so I was able to look at her, and she has this clear spot around her tail. Here is a pic.
4E35AD71-E006-403A-A930-F44219ADD244.jpeg i underlined her tail, and as you can see there is that spot that’s clear?

I also have noticed she comes out when the lights are out

Upvote 0

Neurogirl1515

I know this is an old thread. I’m wondering if you ever determined the cause?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lmg01
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Lmg01
Replies
Views
LeafY4life77
Replies