Platy killed an adult shrimp somehow!

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a colony of shrimp in my small 10 gallon platy tank.

Its pretty heavily planted with Java Moss, JAva Fern, Water Wisteria, Bamboo, Mopani wood.

I noticed my platy picking at something aggressively and to my horror it was a dead shrimp. I don't think it was already dead as it was still bright red.

I thought platys were docile and it wouldn't have even been able to swallow the adult in the first place.

Also there is so much wood and vegitation I don't know how he got to the shrimp.

Please help!

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only advice I can give you, separate the shrimps from the fish. When you hear of people saying, I've kept "so and so fish with shrimps and never seen them eat a shrimp or shrimplet" aren't watching the tank 24 hours a day.

The only fish that you don't have to worry about being in shrimp tank are Otocinculus.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All of the fun fish that school eat protien, shrimp are multi legged protien. Some don't try to eat shrimp, but its always a possibility. Little ambitious of ur platty, prob didn't fit innhis mouth well. U will prob see continued attacks if u don't seperate the plattys and shrimp. Once they figure out its food walkin they dont ignore the shrimp anymore. Lots of plants help protect them, hut my shrimp swim all over the tank.

Rehoming the platty or new shrimp home would solve the issue. I'm not sure how u could divide them away from eachother unless u split it into essentially side my side 5s.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are there plants that provide exceptionally good safety other than moss? Or ornaments?

Places where fish could not fit?

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
But the issue comes when they aren't hiding. My blues hide for a day and a half week.....the rest of the time they roam looking for food, scooting from spot to spot, well into the water and away from cover.

The only way planting more might help would be to create maybeca plant screen level. Plant the entire bottom of the tank and keep plants trimmed short to create swimming area for platty. U wont be able to se ur shrimp much, but the platty can only hunt them when they swim above the plant canopy. It would only work if thecplant part was literally thick enough the platty couldn't swim thru it. Not a good short term plan either, would take time for plants to fill in

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom