Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Platy Keeps Going To The Surface

Discussion in 'Platy' started by LoachParty, Apr 14, 2019.

1. LoachPartyNew MemberMember

Hey all, it's been a bit since I posted here.

I have 5 platys and some other assorted fish (a molly, guppy, and 6/4 neon & glowlights who school. Also a rubberlip pleco [L187B]). It's a 20 gallon with live plants and a Fluval AquaClear 50.

All of them are perfectly healthy, active, attentive, and thriving. But I've noticed one thing - my bumblebee platy keeps going to the top for air.

She doesn't do it often, but I've been wondering if it's possibly something genetically wrong with her, or if she just does it for shiggles. A couple others (green lantern platy and my guppy) do it too but even less, usually just to blow a couple bubbles and leave.

The tank is well oxygenated, parameters are perfect and the water is tested frequently. Currently I have some peat in the filter to help slowly lower the pH to something more neutral, but she's been doing this for a while and continues even now. I use small doses of aquarium salt as well, still no change.

Do you think it's just something she likes to do? There's nothing else wrong with her from what I can tell... She acts normal too aside from this little quirk of hers.

Here are some photos. Slightly poor quality because my phone camera HATES anything that moves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before anyone comments on my guppy's tail in the first pic, I adopted her with that pale section nipped down to the base - that's how much it's grown back! No worries there.

My parameters, just in case:
    Ammonia, nitrite: Nonexistent, it's a well established tank.
    Nitrate: ~5ppm
    Hardness: 15dGH
    pH: 7.8 (slowly going to lower to 7.2 or 7.4 and keep it there)
    Temp: 74f

I'm pretty sure I'm just being anxious, but I like to hear other's thoughts just to be sure. Like I said, she's the only one that does this and doesn't seem to be stressed or ill in anyway. I've had her for around 4 or 5 months, same time I got the green lantern and the molly ("platy").

Thanks if you read all of this!

2. SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

I'd say if it's just an occasional behavior and you don't notice anything else then chances are it's nothing. My husband almost panicked once because our platies were dashing up and down the front of the tank and I had to explain to him that the fatties were just begging for food lol.