Platy is lookin like it feels rough.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok here is the deal. Water parameters ammonia .0ppm nitrite .0ppm nitrate .11 ppm ph 7.2 my tank just had an outbreak of ich. The main fish affected was the platty this post is in refrence to. Well all of the spots are now gone but she still has clamped fins and is rubbing on decorations and hiding only to come out to eat.are these symptoms other than ich? The temp in my tank has been 86 f steady for about a week now. The raise in temp along with gravel vacs and bi weekly 50% wc. Is it possible that since all the white spots are gone that this something else?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Karl, he could still be feeling the symptoms of ich even though the spores have dropped off. It's generally recommended to keep the temp high for 2 weeks to ensure all the spores are dead.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I understand that it takes atleast 2 weeks to rid the tank of ich. I'm just a little curious because the hiding and clamped fins started after I raised my tanks temp.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He may be uncomortable with the high temperature in the tank, Platies ideal temp is 22-26 degrees, but there isn't much you can do if that is the problem. If it's just the temp that's bothering him then he should recover when you drop it again.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have an air stone in there? Warmer water is not as oxygenated as cooler water.

-Lisa

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
he could still have ich in his gills also

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes my aquarium has an air stone. I also dropped the water level so there would be more surface agitation from the filter discharge. How should I treat if ich is on the gills? Would it be time to consider quarantine and medication? If quarantine and medication are advisable what medication has yielded good results for you guys.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads