Platy is having babies, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by OhMyGoshman, Mar 26, 2010.

1. O

OhMyGoshman New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank that houses 3 platy, 2 of which are female. I just spotted a baby in my tank, but the girls still look big. I took the guy out so there is one less chance of the baby getting eaten. How do I know when they are done giving birth and when should I remove the females? I also just fed the girls so they would be less hungry to eat the baby.

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Just wait until shes skinng again and she doesn't have a gravid spot, the dark bit behind her anal fin.
    Or you could wait until you have an amount of babies you are happy with and take her out regardless :)

3. OP
    OP
    O

I can't tell if they are fat because they ate the babies or because they are pregnant. Here is a video I just took of them, any chance you could give me your opinion?

4. OP
    OP
    O

Do you know how long they typically give birth for? It's now been a few hours since I spotted the first fry and I don't see anything else happening. Although I think there are one 1 or 2 hiding in the hornwort, or at least that is all I can see.

5. fishdude360

fishdude360 Valued Member Member

one looks like it has the gravid spot

6. OP
    OP
    O

Was it the big one or the small one? I am having a hard time telling what the actual gravid spot is on my fish.

7. fishdude360

the big one

8. OP
    OP
    O

Wow, this was a crazy experience, my platy was giving birth ALL day. She kept trying to eat the babies, she would eye them and start to dart at them and I couldn't stand to watch so I would tap the tank and she would leave them alone. I THINK most ended up getting eaten. I have now removed her because I could no longer see a gravid spot and I was scared the remaning babies would get eaten over night. She was still really fat, but I chopped that up to eating babies all day. I can safely say there are at least 2 babies alive. Thanks everyone for all the help.

705.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Aww! What a cutey! Makes me want platys again :D

10. fishdude360

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

11. ranga97

ranga97 Well Known Member Member

Aaaaawwwwwww:) when this happened to me I raced down and got myself a breeder net. Because I only had one tank:(

12. konstargirl

konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Aww!! They are so tiny. =D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice