platy is bloated and has red spot

bluealuefish

My tank info is updated. Don't know if this is relevant but I do a gravel vac/water change once every 1.5 weeks. I changed out one of the filters a week ago and changed the second one today because they were falling apart. I feed fish flakes and shrimp pellets with zucchinI occasionally. Last fish I added was an oto about 3 weeks ago. All of my other fish look normal. The only other fish I've lost is a betta to old age and 3 cherry barbs who looked bad from the beginning. I did a 30% water change today.

Normally my platy (girl) is very active and eats like a pig. She is the mother to three surviving fry. I found her this evening extremely bloated with a red circular spot on her right side, about 1/2cm in diameter. Her anus seems to be slightly protruded and her gills seem a bit red. She did not go for the food as she normally does. My mother noticed the platy was like that since this morning. Before she got sick, she sometimes pooped large amounts (brown) that would hang together in a string.. don't know if that's normal.

It doesn't look good. I don't know what it is or what I can do. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

bettafish2816

i'd go ahead and test your water for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. you may have changed too much of the media at once which has caused you to go into a mini-cycle or possibly even start your cycle over. she could be suffering from ammonia poisoning, the red spot sounds like an ammonia burn as well.

could you get a picture of her?

bluealuefish

You are probably right about the minI cycle. I tested the water again this morning and it was .25-.5 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate. What surprises me is that her symptoms appeared after I switched only one of the filters. I will do daily water changes to keep the levels down. I'll try to get a pic up sometime today.

What about her bloated-ness? She tummy area looks like a box. Is that related to ammonia burn as well? Should I separate her from the others?

cerianthus

i'd go ahead and test your water for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. you may have changed too much of the media at once which has caused you to go into a mini-cycle or possibly even start your cycle over. she could be suffering from ammonia poisoning, the red spot sounds like an ammonia burn as well.

could you get a picture of her?

Dont forget to check pH also.

krismoore888

this link will give you symptoms and treatment for ammonia poisoning, also the bloatedness is proboly due to the organ failure which can occur due to the ammonia poisoning, the organ is proboly the kidney

bluealuefish

thanks all for your help. unfortunately she didn't make it.

The pH is 6.5. I will keep an eye on the other fish. I wonder why she was the only one affected. I hope her babies will be okay.

krismoore888

keep up daily water changes until ammomia and nitrites are 0 and keep testing. good luck and sorry to hear you lost the platy

bettafish2816

i'm sorry that you lost her i'd still do daily water changes if you have other fish in there, they may not be showing symptoms of ammonia poisoning but it is still affecting them. she could have also been bloated aside from the ammonia poisoning.

bluealuefish

yes, definitely will do, thanks. RIP my beautiful platy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sfsamm
Replies
Views
SaveThemAll1
Replies
Views
Ryanjolene24
Replies
Views