Platy is acting funny.

1. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Hi guys. My male platy has been acting funny today. he's at the bottom of the tank and almost looks like as he is trying to swim down he didn't eat his breakfast this morning and the other fish were eating very little.. It just happen today. Can anyone tell me what it could possibly be? He's in my 10 gallon. This is the platy that will not breed with my two females and he still hasn't

Thanks.

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Have you done all the obvious things like check the water parameters and the temerature and the filters? My fish were acting funny the other day and it turned out that my heater was broken and the water temp. was 68.:;dk

3. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

unfortunately, he did not made it. Now one of my females is acting funny also. I'm doing a water change everyday and it seems to get worse.. At first she kept constantly went to the surface for air. Now she's all floppy and doing summer saults..I checked my water parameter and ammonia was a 4, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0. Ammonia was at a 4 for the past few days..

4. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

How much water are you changing each day? If it were me, I'd try to do 1 water change this morning and another one tonight. That's a pretty high ammonia count, so it looks like your tank is cycling. You can try using Prime, but I think that's most effective if your ammonia is at/below 1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But clean water will be the best thing for your fish right now!

5. TmacD Member Member

my first question to you would be, what have you done to your tank recently? Your aquarium profile says this tank has been established since 2009, but your readings are completely whack job for a tank that old. 4ppm amonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates? Your tank has completely lost its bacteria colony.

My second question would be are you using a strip test kit or the liquid version? My reason for asking this that prime will mess with your readings with the liquid kit. I don't know about strips though. Although, I do know that it wont mess your readings up that bad.

My third is have you tested your tap water to see what it reads out as far as ph and ammonia? If your getting a really high ammonia content in your tap it might be better to ease up on the water changes. Although, I'm not giving advice about that till I'm more in the know. My water spiked to 1ppm ammonia out of the tap and I have been dealing with it all winter.

6. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

I'm using the liquid test kit. No test strips for me.. I'm right now using the Amquel Plus water conditioner with the Kordon Nova plus. So like a mix. I'm right now doing water changes once a day.

7. kimoore Member Member

have you done anything different to the tank recently? Change out the substrate, or replaced your media holder? How long has this tank been up and running, (is this the one that has been running since August 2009?)

8. Lupinus Member Member

How large a water change are you doing? At those levels I'd be going for 50% at least. I'm not familiar with amquel+ but with prime you can safely exceed the normal dose, I'd read the amquel bottle and see if that is the case for it also.

9. TmacD Member Member

Here's what I would do,

I would immediately do a large water change. I'm talking about an 80% change. Your ammonia is out of this world and killing your fish. Whatever you have coming out of your tap is lower than 4ppm. Federal ammonia tolerances for tap water are 1.25ppm. You don't have to worry about preserving bacteria because you don't have any, hence the 4ppm reading.

I would also do an extensive gravel vac to get all rotting food, poop, etc out of the tank.

Next, there's two ways I see you can go.

1) TSS. Tetra smart start. I suggest this product because it has worked for me. If you go this route after the large water change add a bottle and wait. You need to make sure your using a conditioner that doesn't have an ammonia lock component in it. If the bottle says helps remove/detoxify ammonia you can't use it. Once added you are supposed to wait six days before doing any water changes. I would just like to add that I don't worship at the alter of Tetra, I'm just a believer in their products.

2) Do daily water changes of about 25-30% keeping your ammonia at bay and wait it out for your tank to cycle naturally. I would also get some prime by seachem. Your profile says you use to use it but you don't any longer. One bottle, conditioner and ammonia lock, and helps slime coat. I use it as many people on here do. As long as you keep doing the water changes your fish have a fighting chance of making it. Fish don't need ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to survive, they poison them. Fresh water is a good thing.

Which ever way you go, I would encourage you to do more research on here. I just read up on the chemicals you are using. The nove plus says it reinforces or replaces a fish's slime coat with other organic compunds. REPLACES the slime coat. WHAT? How do you replace a fish's slime coat. Their biological barrier to protect them selves. I'm not buying the amquel plus at either. If it removes 1.25ppm amonia per dose the why do you have 4ppm? also, a chemical compound can't "remove" nitrates. They are the remnants of the nitrogen cycle. That's why we all do water changes, to get rid of nitrates.

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Firstly get that ammonia down. At that level your fish will be dead this weekend. You will need to do 3 back to back water changes of 75% or more. Only use NovAqua during this water detox action. Then test ammonia. If it is still above 1 ppm, do another immediate water change.

I would also clean the gravel to lift any debris adding to the waste levels, especially under decor where it likes to collect.

Only once the ammonia is down would you need to dose AmQuel.

Then every day do a 50-75% water change until your tank has again cycled. This is not a mini cycle. It is more like a new tank starting from scratch.

I too am wondering what changed in this tank. New additions, changing filter media, ect.

Any detoxing agent can give false results. So, Prime, AmQuel, or AmmoLock can have this affect on test results.

11. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Thank you all. I will get to that right away. Right now I'm at school.

I just update my profile about my tanks.. This is a 10 gallon BTW that is having problems.. I only had this tank for only 2 years..

12. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Off and on I get ammonia readings. For a while it was cycle and now it's back to high ammonia. So yeah I think it was because of the lack of the good bacteria.

13. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Sorry for triple posting, but I just got some prime sand did a big 40 % water change.. Ammonia was still a 4 pmm and my fem,ale platy still looks the same. She looks like she might have a swim bladder disorder.. as she is now upside down an still breathing. I saw somewhere that there are slings made for fishys, but that will probably be a waste..

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Do more water changes. One right after the other before your fish die. They are being poisoned and will not live much longer.

Do a 75% water change. As soon as the tank is full immediately do another change. Repeat this at least 2 more times. Then test ammonia. If it is still over 1ppm do more changes.

15. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

All the fish are doing very well now, but the female platy passed a week ago.

16. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters now? Unfortunately it takes awhile to cycle a tank, so you're not in the clear yet. :)