Platy in critical condition?

1. citrus Initiate Member

Is my platy dying?!

I have a red wagtail platy. Her name is sunny. I just moved her to another tank, with drinking water and some salt. I put in some anti parasite medicine just now, because she used to have parasites. I though she was cured, oh well. Now, she is at the bottom of the hospital tank. She was slowly turning around, and then was swaying side to side like : |...\...|.../... like that. Then she stopped and now she's using her tail. Then all of a sudden she gets up, swims around, and goes to a different spot. She's been doing that in the main tank too, and that's why I separated her. I don't know the parameters, but she's not in a good condition. I put in some boiled peas for her to eat. What's happening? My main tank is a 10 gallon. The other platies and mollies are fine...but it's only her I have problems with. And another platy has worms. Only one left though....most died. But that worm just won't go away. Sunny had some serious parasite problems 2 weeks ago or so, then she got cured and was fine. Now she's like this...and I don't know why. I think she's just stressed. But now, I'm beginning to worry!

EDIT:

Okay, so now she looks dead but after like 3 seconds she jerks and then stops. She's repeating this! I think she's about to take her last breath.... :(

Edit 2: Okay... now she's dead. :(. I have NO CLUE why... and I want to know! Does anyone know why she died?

10 gallon tank
    Parameters: No clue. Other fish are fine
    She has had parasite problems for 1-3 weeks or so now?

In her last few minutes, she was jerking around frequently.

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think you need to get a clue as to what the tank parameters are.

3. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I think if you do not have a water liquid testing kit you need one that should of been the first thing you got after buying the tank and before you got fish. If do not have one I would take a water sample to your LFS AND MAKE SURE THE TANK IS CYCLED. I am sry you loss your fish but I hope you can save the rest.

4. citrus Initiate Member

Uhh...yea I know about the free water parameter thing fish stores do...and when I got the tank I did not know anything about ammonia, nitrites nitrates and that stuff. I just filled it up, and put in the fish after about 2 hours of letting the solution mix. They were fine. But I think the whole reason this infection started is because of this fish that caused an injury, then spread it to the other fish or it could just be the store water.

5. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome.

Sad news about your fish. Many of us came here because we didn't know about fish and we wanted to learn.

At this point, the very best you can do is make sure your remaining fish don't get sick. To do that, you need to work on a few things.

First, what is your water chemistry like? The only way to answer that question is to test your water. You can test your water by using test strips (not advised), asking your pet store to test a sample (be sure you get numbers), or by using a liquid test kit (best way). Test The Big Three: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Then post those numbers here in your aquarium info.

Next, read about the nitrogen cycle <------ click on this link.

Next, how many and what kind of fish are in your ten gallon tank? Post this in your info as well.

All of this information will help us help you.

Keep us posted!

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Hi welcome to Fishlore!

Knowing your water parameters is the first step to understanding any problems in your tank. A uncyled tank is toxic to the fish. These toxins can also weaken the fish's immune system, leaving them open to secondary infections, such as parisites, bacterial infections and finrot.