Platy Hiding After Giving Birth

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by UnknownTBeast, Mar 22, 2019.

1. UnknownTBeastNew MemberMember

Every thread I've seen has been about platy hiding when giving birth, but mine has been hiding for about a week after giving birth. At last count 14 fry.

She just stays in the same area behind a bunch of hornwort, only moving around only a bit. Doesn't even come out when there's food.

2. VaughnValued MemberMember

It’s possible she could be holding onto some more fry and hiding because she isn’t done yet but a week seems a little extreme for that. It could also just be stress. What are your parameters and tank size? And who’s in the tank with her?

3. UnknownTBeastNew MemberMember

38 gallon hex
    0ppm ammonia and nitrite, 40ppm nitrate. 7.6 pH. GH 30, KH 40... these two are from API test strips, it says ppm (mg/l) and tbh I'm still trying to figure out how to read hardness, seems like there are a few ways.

3 Male and 3 female molly, various types
    2 female and 1 Male swordtail
    3 otocinclus
    4 ghost shrimp
    And unfortunately 4 Male and one other female platy in addition to this one. I had asked for 4 female and 2 Male and I had always assumed that's what I had since folks at store were fairly knowledgeable, but looking at them now looks like they were wrong. The higher count on males probably isn't helping.
    And of course the 14 fry.

From time to time she will move to the other side of the tank behind more hornwort and I noticed she looks more pale compared to the others. Lighter orange and barely any red near the tail. When I've seen her swim she doesn't have any issues.

4. VaughnValued MemberMember

I’d say it’s the stress from giving birth and now she’s hiding from the males. I’d keep an eye on her and maybe add a few more plants or something for her to hide in to make her feel more secure if you can. Have you seen her eat since giving birth? It’s possible she could be eating some fry here and there and that’s why she wasn’t coming out for food but if there’s definitely 14 maybe try soaking her food in garlic juice to make it more appetizing for her.

5. UnknownTBeastNew MemberMember

She's usually still hiding when I feed and I haven't directly seen her eat. I just checked and I could only find 12 fry, though with all the hornwort in there I could of just missed them.

Read in another post about something unrelated but they mentioned garlic juice. Didn't realize that was a thing. I got a jar of pre-minced garlic, is that the juice I should try?

6. VaughnValued MemberMember

If it’s just garlic juice that would be fine but if it has salt or spices in it I wouldn’t. I usually just chop up some fresh garlic and crush it a little and use the juice from that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice