Platy Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Bailey Oswald, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

My Platy has been hanging around in upper corners of the tank blankly recently. I see him swimming about like normal sometimes but other times he is just in a corner. If I move my finger above the water he darts away. None of the other fish are doing this.

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

What are the water parameters, tank size, and tankmates (including their genders if you know)?
    Is it somewhat smaller than the other fish?
    Do you have a heater, and is that where the platy is hiding?
    When you feed the tank is he getting his fair share?

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I'm not home but I'll check parameters when I get home.
    Tank size: 50 gallon
    Tankmates: skirt tetra, orange-finned loach. I think the tetra is male but not sure, same with loach. Yes, he's smaller than the other fish. I haven't seen much bullying, though.
    Heater: No.
    Feeding: He is getting his fair share of food during feeding. He eats well.

4. andychrissytank

Can I confirm that his tankmates are one tetra and one loach?

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Yes.

6. andychrissytank

That's a lot of tank space for just 3 fish lol
    have you noticed any fin-nipping? You could definitely get a school of tetras and loaches of 5 or so each in that tank to help ease any aggression. Most likely the platy just feels it's safer there since it won't be intruding on anyone else's territory. You could also take out the tetra and loach, rearrange the decorations, let the platy secure his territory, and when the tetra/loach are reintroduced see if he still acts the same way. If he does, then there is definitely a latent aggression problem.

7. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Yeah, I know. My tetra sometimes nips at the Platy but not very often. Usually they just chill together. I recently rearranged the decor. I actually plan on rehoming the tetra and Platy in the future when I'm ready for the restocking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice